Thread: Google + NASA = Google Galaxy?

Exclamation Google + NASA = Google Galaxy?

Google, NASA to Work Together
    Date: 10/6/2005

(WEB HOST INDUSTRY REVIEW) -- Search engine Google (google.com) announced on Friday it plans to work with NASA on a variety of research and development activities relating to supercomputing and nanotechnology.

The two organizations have signed a memorandum of understanding that details plans for cooperation in a variety of areas, including supercomputing and "bio-info-nano convergence," which combines the research areas of biological, information and nanotechnology to produce new materials. Google also plans to build an office, set to be "up to one million square feet" in size, in the NASA Research Park at Moffett Field.

"Imagine having a wide selection of images from the Apollo space mission at your fingertips whenever you want it," says Eric Schmidt, Google CEO. "That's just one small example of how this collaboration could help broaden technology's role in making the world a better place."

Another technology that is speculated to be developed is a Google Earth extension that includes other planets, or even the entire solar system.

Could this mean Google Galaxy?
    Last edited by araT; 10-09-2005 at 01:08 PM.

I don't know if the title is intended to suggest it, but what I thought of when I read the name "Google Galaxy" was a virtual planetarium along the same lines of Google Earth. Think about it. You can click and drag to look around the night sky, and when you zoom in, the all-sky image is replaced with high resolution images of star clusters, nebulae, galaxies and more. You could have different overlays for different frequency observations (radio, IR, microwave etc).

You could have tags on objects which you could click on to read more about the object, and link to research papers on the topic etc. You could also have an overlay which you could program to represent the horizon from any location on earth at any time of the day.

This would be such an AWESOME astronomy tool, and great fun to play with! I'd love to see such a thing become reality

Thumbs up

Google Earth + Nasa World Wind = ???

Quote Originally Posted by neilcreek
    I don't know if the title is intended to suggest it, but what I thought of when I read the name "Google Galaxy" was a virtual planetarium along the same lines of Google Earth. Think about it. You can click and drag to look around the night sky, and when you zoom in, the all-sky image is replaced with high resolution images of star clusters, nebulae, galaxies and more.
    (...)
    This would be such an AWESOME astronomy tool, and great fun to play with! I'd love to see such a thing become reality
    You should definitely check out the neat open source program Stellarium, it can already do most of those things.

Personally, I'd love to have something like Google Earth for Mars, there should be plenty of high resolution imagery (elevation data, too) already available from Mars Global Surveyor, Mars Express and other spacecraft...

The other planets and moons (except for our moon maybe) don't make much sense yet, I think. You wouldn't be able to zoom in simply because there's no high resolution data.

Talking merge them

Quote Originally Posted by georg
    Google Earth + Nasa World Wind = ???
    Although, GE is much more fun than NASA WW, it would be nice to join this two products in one. For example, adding NASA's database of places to GE would be a nice thing to start with. NASA has in its database all the places I have knowledge of - even the smallest ones!
    Igor Irić
    New Belgrade, Serbia & Montenegro

Bring it on! I can't wait for a Google Luna and Google Mars, et al.

We already have enough mapped of both bodies to make it, so what is the holdup?

Malin Space Science Systems is leading the way.

Try this site.....

http://www.shatters.net/celestia/

and

http://www.celestiamotherlode.net/

Similar to the things everyone's talking about....3D Virtal tour of Universe.

Default No installation

I try to install celestia but there are no response from celestia-win32-1.3.2.exe???

Have you an idea???

Unfortunately, no idea, but I will continue to look into it.

Default Installation bug

I found the problème....

A little problem with the installer windows and my firewall???

After reboot It's OK..

Thank's a lot..

Celestia is great..

Bye

Quote Originally Posted by coloradob5
    Bring it on! I can't wait for a Google Luna and Google Mars, et al.

We already have enough mapped of both bodies to make it, so what is the holdup?

Malin Space Science Systems is leading the way.
    Google Moon is already available to this URl : http://moon.google.com/ !!

Quote Originally Posted by clems_37
    Google Moon is already available to this URl : http://moon.google.com/ !!

try to zoom in, hahaha

now if they could intergrate this program with ge, http://www.starrynight.com, that would be cool. Its like Stellarium and Celestia, it starts like stellarium but when u click on object in sky it zooms to it like celestia! coool

Pity its soo expensive

cheers