Thread: Making a call to a bookmark via the command line

Default Making a call to a bookmark via the command line

Hi everyone,

I am a lab tech at a University in NYC and have been using the program for about a month now. We have been looking for ways to integrate the app directly into our established programs used for teaching Geology. So my question is.

I can build kml and kmz files reasonably now - is there a way to call to a bookmark via the command line in a kml to avoid making tons of single ones? I am looking to do a command line call from another program - the program will allow for these types of calls. If I can get this to work - I will share further.

Any help is good help.
    -DK

Quote Originally Posted by dklinger
    is there a way to call to a bookmark via the command line in a kml to avoid making tons of single ones?
    Hmmm, not sure what this means. You can run GE from a command line and pass in a KML file or KMZ as you would expect. You can't run a command line program from GE via a KML file directly, but you can via a web server using a network link and CGI.

You can put in all sorts of HTML in KML and use that to link to other files. You can link to local files too and I guess that would let you run a command line program if you knew it's location on the machine that GE was running.

You could also install a command line interface to a new protocol handler on the machine GE was running on. You could write a script that would parse the URL and then pass it to a command line program.

A KML file can include pretty well as many different placemarks as you want.

Default External linking - going further.

Quote Originally Posted by KayEss
    Hmmm, not sure what this means.
    KayEss.

Ok, I will be more specific.
    A kml will store various bookmarks.
    Say I want to call to a specific bookmark external of GE. I can call directly on the kml (I guess a rudementary form of hyperlinking) from the program I am using (TOPO 4) and up comes GE with the bookmarks that are in the kml. Can I call to a specific bookmark within the kml using the same external linking process? I thought there maybe an equivalent way to do this via command line, but I think I stated it wrong.

Hope this description helps

DK

Quote Originally Posted by dklinger
    KayEss.

Ok, I will be more specific.
    A kml will store various bookmarks.
    Say I want to call to a specific bookmark external of GE. I can call directly on the kml (I guess a rudementary form of hyperlinking) from the program I am using (TOPO 4) and up comes GE with the bookmarks that are in the kml. Can I call to a specific bookmark within the kml using the same external linking process? I thought there maybe an equivalent way to do this via command line, but I think I stated it wrong.

Hope this description helps

DK
    Sorry for the tardiness of the reply, I've been away.

When you click on a KML link on a web page then the KML/KMZ file is downloaded and opens in GE which takes you straight to that placemark. There is some mechanism that does this. It may be that a new GE instance is launched which then just passes this parameter to the existing running copy or it could be using DDE.

If it is a folder for a bunch of placemarks then you can put a look at into the folder and GE will zoom in on that position. This could be the same look at that you have for the placemark that you're most interested in.