Thread: Non-overlay overlays

Default Non-overlay overlays

I may just be behind the curve, but what's with various locations in GE that suddenly seem like tiny high-res "islands" of view in what are otherwise huge blurry areas? For example, see this file: http://www.googleearthhacks.com/dlfi...ad,-Africa.htm

It sure *looks* like an overlay, but the subsection with super-fine detail stays onscreen even when you deselect the downloaded placemark (which usually switches off any overlays). And there's no slider bar such as usually appears for any actual overlays. Is GE now building-in the equivalent of overlays on certain spots?

Super Moderator Captain Hornblower's Avatar

They are part of the African Megaflyover. GE added them during the last update I guess.
    If you select it in the National Geographic Magazine folder, you will find all placemarks pointing to those "overlays".

Software is like entropy. It is difficult to grasp, weighs nothing, and obeys the second law of thermodynamics; i.e., it always increases.
    Norman R. Augustine

A-ha! Makes sense. Thanks!

I should stop posting my questions publicly and just talk to you directly, Cap'n