Thread: Solar system maps discussion

Default Solar system maps discussion

This is a discussion thread for the following file:

Solar system maps

Editors note - IMPORTANT - You need a powerful computer to load this one, and be sure you are zoomed out to at least 8,000 miles high.

As Google Earth Free doesn't allow viewing planets other than Earth, I created these planet overlays form various sources (see info in overlay folder). Please note that some of these images have very high resolution and are thus quite large, downloading these images within Google Earth may take some time. Make sure that only one is selected at a time otherwise Google Earth will download all images. To get the best viewing result turn off all layers and disable the atmospheric rendering (tools > options > view and uncheck 'atmosphere'). Also note that longitude and altitudes are meaningless as I didn't have any reference points to properly align the images. Enjoy!

Default hey

that difinately is one great skin texture for google earth.
    Check out the all new hYpe Entertainment to see some of my cool music remixes. Just go to hYpe Entertainment

A very similar file is posted here , uploaded by AraT. Ara's has some moons in addition to the planets.

Default hey

hey appletom I noticed the same thing in the uploads section.
    Check out the all new hYpe Entertainment to see some of my cool music remixes. Just go to hYpe Entertainment

Some placemarkers for the Moon overlay showing the Apollo landings.

And... my first upload already contained all the moons... They were in the folder with their respective planet. I don't mind if cross-post my stuff from bbs.keynote.com to here but a little credit is always appreciated ;-)
    Attached Files Attached Files

Good Morning Stadsman!

I have mentioned once or twice that your uploads are some of the best here on GEH. I didn't notice the moons when I tested your kmz, and I only noticed them on AraT's because that file opened with nothing showing and I had to 'turn on' the layers. The two files were uploaded within minutes of each other, but about an hour passed between checking yours and checking Ara's.

TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN - Stadsman is a master kmz file maker.

Jim
    El Paso, Texas

No problems. Just having fun with this great thing called Google Earth and happy to share my stuff with the rest of the world... Guess I have currently too much time on my hands ;-) Unfortunately this will change soon, as I will start at a new job (not sure which smiley to use now).

Default Repeat

How come Ganamede and Pluto are the same planets?

wow i just found this file and i'm impressed!

excellent work!