Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Jewel hunting

Default Jewel hunting

Your next city is now given to you within an image, using the same system as our normal captcha verification images. This should help reduce the effectiveness of those that choose to script.

If you find a way to get around the system, or find a place where the next city is still displayed as plain text, please let me know.

Of course, also please inform me if you have any problems using the new system.

Thanks,
    Mickey

Whoaaaa! Neat!

Although, I haven't been collecting them for a WHILE by now... I'm retired...

Not sure if this is a good thing....
    "How do you kill Women and Children? It's easy you just don't lead them as much." Full Metal Jacket

Quote Originally Posted by js3486
    Not sure if this is a good thing....
    Why not?

Personally all the codes to prevent cheating are getting cumbersome, It took me days to figure out what some of the characters in the verification code were. Secondly a resourcefull person will crack the current system.
    Last edited by js3486; 10-20-2005 at 04:54 PM. Reason: gramar
    "How do you kill Women and Children? It's easy you just don't lead them as much." Full Metal Jacket

Quote Originally Posted by js3486
    It took me days to figure out what some of the characters in the verification code were.
    That should be less of an issue here, as I removed one of the fonts that's hard to read, and mis-reading a character or two won't really matter, as long as you can figure out what city it wants.

Secondly a resourcefull person will crack the current system.
    Possibly, but we need to fight it. If they crack it, we fight back. Otherwise, the game is bad and frustrating for the legit players.

Wink

booo hisss

but seriously. If you want to eliminate us from scripting the jewels you need to put the jewel code in a sql table and reference the record number. This way not only are you using a clever formula to create the codes but you are storing the code and it's matching "answer" in a table that we can't see and having a record number isn't going to help us at that point because we can't very well poke into the table to get the answer.

As long as there's a formula at all, it'll get cracked. That last doozy took me and another player almost an entire day to crack but we got it.

I'd rather spend 8 hours cracking the algorithm than one minute collecting jewels. I'll always try getting around your system until you move to a turn based system instead of a jewel based system (time invested system).
    Chad +1 from War_Peace
    http://www.free-games.com.au/Free_On...iplayer_Games/ -- Bunch of free online games similar to GEWARS

look at my eyes : time for new glasses ?
    thanks to all the cheaters for the new system mickey needs to protect,
    next step: cities and codenumbers with email to pick the jewels ????????
    What comes next ?

irritated
    sunfly

ooohhh. yes, email the verification code with a link back to the site that we have to click then we arrive at the site and have to answer a trivia question that's spelled out to us with random garbled characters... I like it!
    Chad +1 from War_Peace
    http://www.free-games.com.au/Free_On...iplayer_Games/ -- Bunch of free online games similar to GEWARS

Quote Originally Posted by reklats
    ooohhh. yes, email the verification code with a link back to the site that we have to click then we arrive at the site and have to answer a trivia question that's spelled out to us with random garbled characters... I like it!
    Would you rather be pounded into the ground by an auto-scripter?
    New, the Unofficial Site of GEwar. A trashtalk forum for all players. Check it out:
    http://www.gewarriors.com

Now with GAMES, so even if you can't be the best at GEWar, maybe you can set some highscores.

Quote Originally Posted by reklats
    If you want to eliminate us from scripting the jewels you need to put the jewel code in a sql table and reference the record number. This way not only are you using a clever formula to create the codes but you are storing the code and it's matching "answer" in a table that we can't see and having a record number isn't going to help us at that point because we can't very well poke into the table to get the answer.
    I plan on doing that. Stay on topic, though. This one is already like that. It passes your userid to the image, where it then looks up and parses the next city info. No way to crack that, although someone may figure out a way to read it with OCR.

I'll always try getting around your system until you move to a turn based system instead of a jewel based system (time invested system).
    I'm trying to get away from the jewels entirely. They're meant to be used primarily by new users and users that need to rebuild. Day-to-day income should ideally be coming from your oil wells, diamond mines, cotton fields and city taxes.

Would you rather be pounded into the ground by an auto-scripter?
    Exactly my reasoning.

wowa nice going mickey!

i hear the collective cries of ****ed scripter souls coming up from hell!

*edit* wow i have no idea what just got censored there *edit*

basterd, burying my post.

so after 1.5 hours you have all recources and 1.5k troops?

thats not that bad mate, that would take a city the 2nd day id say.

*another edit* Where the **** did the huge post before this one go? shy thor? *another edit*

Senior Member TheMightySquigglies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mickey
    I'm trying to get away from the jewels entirely. They're meant to be used primarily by new users and users that need to rebuild. Day-to-day income should ideally be coming from your oil wells, diamond mines, cotton fields and city taxes.
    The only problem with this new system is it will slow nebies down. They can no longer cut and paste the text into the fly to option and have to type it.

This is fine if you run a server 24/7 like I do but its no good for most Pc users, google will wipe its cache and you are back to square one everyday.

Who Dares Wins - Motto of the best special forces unit in the world, the SAS

i've never used the search function nor scripts and i do it in less then 10 secs per jewel.