Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Jewel hunting

Senior Member TheMightySquigglies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Timmetie
    i've never used the search function nor scripts and i do it in less then 10 secs per jewel.
    Yes but you, Sir, are a walking globe

Who Dares Wins - Motto of the best special forces unit in the world, the SAS

Quote Originally Posted by TheMightySquigglies
    The only problem with this new system is it will slow nebies down. They can no longer cut and paste the text into the fly to option and have to type it.

This is fine if you run a server 24/7 like I do but its no good for most Pc users, google will wipe its cache and you are back to square one everyday.
    Very true. I think the easiest way (scripting aside) is to have the cities KML open and just double-click the one you want to fly to. Set the "fly-to" speed to the max, and you get to the correct city (which you don't always get with the GE search) in under a second.

I'll probably add that info to the FAQ to help newbies out a bit...

Squigglies i just send you my "secret"

and there's an option that gets you there instantly , not sure why cause i just pushed all the buttons lacking any technical or general intellegence.

Default cant read the whole name....

I have REAL problems with the new method....
    The image takes ages and doesnt show the whole name...

For example... the jewel can be found in the city of marrakech, m

The result in Google Earth search is :"Your search returned no results"

where the hell is that?'?????

No please Mickey, dont do this to us!!!!!!

Squigglies i just send you my "secret"

and there's an option that gets you there instantly , not sure why cause i just pushed all the buttons lacking any technical or general intellegence.
    Send it to me too.
    New, the Unofficial Site of GEwar. A trashtalk forum for all players. Check it out:
    http://www.gewarriors.com

Now with GAMES, so even if you can't be the best at GEWar, maybe you can set some highscores.

peoples, i have the ultimate low-tech solution.

just place placemarks near all cities, its almost thesame as the city list only you dont "open" anything.

i did this from the beginning as a stupid noob, i had no idea the jewel cities were thesame as the battle cities, so i kept putting up placemarks.

works like a charm, have yet to find a faster script actually.

basterd, burying my post.

so after 1.5 hours you have all recources and 1.5k troops?

thats not that bad mate, that would take a city the 2nd day id say.

*another edit* Where the **** did the huge post before this one go? shy thor? *another edit*
    I deleted it. It was way too long when I posted it. Especially for my first post. The summary: Just like other new players have said - jewel collecting is bad and there needs to be a better way.

Nice move Mickey!

I would highly suggest that you fix the problem with the width of the image.
    It is very hard to read the trailing characters when it goes off screen.
    Doing so might make it hard for newbies to figure out where to go.

I think y'all may have me to blame for giving him this suggestion a month or so ago!

This move should slow down the scripters, but I think I already have an idea for a decent workaround.
    I will have to type in the first few characters of the city name by hand (as long as I have collected from the city at least once), but otherwise the rest of my code is still usable.

I estimate that, once I implement some changes to my code, this would slow down my jewel collecting from 50 / 3 minutes (1 every 3-4 seconds) to 50 / 5 minutes (1 every 6 seconds).

Actually, my new way might end up omiting some of my more time consuming code and result in nearly the same jewels per minute.
    However, I *will* need to manually type in the first few characters of my next jewel city...something I haven't had to do before.

It is *not* that your new way is exposing a faster way to do this.
    Your new way just made me revisit how I collect jewels and made me think of a few efficiencies that I can make.

Suffice it to say, you have successfully halted my jewel collecting code for the time being. Touche!

For the record, if Mickey tells me to stop my scripts I *will*.
    I do not consider myself cheating because I do not attempt to hack the OCR.
    I only attempt to save time on some of the more monotonous tasks.
    I've just worked hard at being efficient, and generated some code along the way.
    I still have to manually type in the pass code to get my jewel.
    And I always induce at least a 2 second lag between queries so that I do not pound Mickey's servers.
    I also will not be sharing my solution with anyone (unless an Admin asks).

Quote Originally Posted by -Vincent-
    The image takes ages and doesnt show the whole name...

For example... the jewel can be found in the city of marrakech, m
    I just made the image 50% wider (and a bit shorter), so that should help.

The result in Google Earth search is :"Your search returned no results"
    Use your cities KML and fly to it that way. 3 or 4 seconds, tops. You only need about the first 4 letters to use that, too.

It is *not* that your new way is exposing a faster way to do this.
    Your new way just made me revisit how I collect jewels and made me think of a few efficiencies that I can make.
    That makes sense.

For the record, if Mickey tells me to stop my scripts I *will*.
    Technically, scripts are no longer allowed. However, please keep working on it because I want to be able to build the site in such a way that scripts are much less useful, as I won't be able to detect them too well when people in the future aren't as forthcoming with their information.

Quote Originally Posted by Mickey

Technically, scripts are no longer allowed. However, please keep working on it because I want to be able to build the site in such a way that scripts are much less useful, as I won't be able to detect them too well when people in the future aren't as forthcoming with their information.
    First of all: as long as one can collect geos with a snap of her/his finger there will be 'scripters'. Therefore let the jewels fade away.

The idea that the value was determined by the 'wealth' was very good, but adjusting it to a time factor would give newbies a good start and all other would have to rely on the other ressources. That would the best tactic against scripting.
    Say, after 1 or 2 week(s) the account was created 1 jewel would equal 0 geo, then a nearly real world scenario could begin

As for multiple accounts: consider some values in the HTTP-Headers and a login with different accounts will end in a Zapppp!

Talking

Jewel hunting sucks. The idea sucks. Basically you've taken "turns" and called them "geos" and you can earn "turns" by collecting jewels. We scripted a way around manually collecting jewels so we could get more "turns". It's all the same. Just do a find/replace for GEO and call it TURN and then eliminate jewels and give us 50 turns each 24 hours. Done deal. TONS less coding, TONS less server load, TONS less hacking attempts and TONS MORE PLAYERS.
    Chad +1 from War_Peace
    http://www.free-games.com.au/Free_On...iplayer_Games/ -- Bunch of free online games similar to GEWARS

Quote Originally Posted by reklats
    Jewel hunting sucks. The idea sucks. Basically you've taken "turns" and called them "geos" and you can earn "turns" by collecting jewels. We scripted a way around manually collecting jewels so we could get more "turns". It's all the same. Just do a find/replace for GEO and call it TURN and then eliminate jewels and give us 50 turns each 24 hours. Done deal. TONS less coding, TONS less server load, TONS less hacking attempts and TONS MORE PLAYERS.
    Agreed, except for one point. As long as you can transfer funds to other players, what's to stop people from creating extra accounts, collecting the money from their turns and sending it over to their "main" account?

Don't allow people to transfer "turns". Most games don't let you send turns to someone else. Yes, there will still be GEOS that are money but I think instead of jewels you need to seriously consider just going to turn based with X turns per day.
    Chad +1 from War_Peace
    http://www.free-games.com.au/Free_On...iplayer_Games/ -- Bunch of free online games similar to GEWARS

Quote Originally Posted by reklats
    Don't allow people to transfer "turns". Most games don't let you send turns to someone else. Yes, there will still be GEOS that are money but I think instead of jewels you need to seriously consider just going to turn based with X turns per day.
    Nooooooooo!!! That would be so boring!

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia (27░22'34.69"S, 152░59'18.54"E)

Where are 'The Pyramids of Giza':

View the attachment for another problem (the first two pics have been trunicated to make the file small enough).

*edit:Kinda fixed now, but I still don't know where it is (and Mt Rushmore), does this mean I have to now download files from GEH just to find jewels?*
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Brendo; 10-21-2005 at 02:46 AM.