Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Big new jewel changes

Default Big new jewel changes

As you may have noticed, the jewel hunting process has just changed quite a bit. Rather than looking for GEwar cities around the world, you are now sent to look for famous (and some not-so-famous) landmarks from everywhere.

Here's the secret: They're all being pull from the main GEH file database. If you can't find one, just run a search in there, find the file that has the same title as the location you're trying to find, and there it will be!

The reason for the change is two-fold:

1 - To prevent (or at least slow down) scripting. These locations are not all in a single KML file, so they're going to be hard to script. On top of that, there are literally thousands of locations that will eventually be in there, so it will be tough to cheat.

2 - To make jewel hunting a bit more of a pain in the neck. Ideally, people only jewel hunt when necessary, and otherwise develop a nice income from oil wells, cotton fields, diamond mines, bank interest and city taxes. Still, jewels need to be around if you need them.

Since it's now much more difficult to find jewels, the rate will be going up. Not way up, but up a nice amount. Again, I don't want people to be jewel hunting for all of their income, so the rate won't be especially high.

Please post in here if you have any technical problems with the new system, or if some location is just "bad" and you can't find the jewel there.

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia (27░22'34.69"S, 152░59'18.54"E)

Pentagon - Updated

Maybe remove the '- updated' part

Quote Originally Posted by Brendo
    Pentagon - Updated

Maybe remove the '- updated' part
    There will be some that look silly like that (some will say "overlay", for one example). I'm not gonna worry about it for now, as the "updated" text is worthwhile on the main site, and this script simply uses those same descriptions. You make a good point, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Mickey
    As you may have noticed, the jewel hunting process has just changed quite a bit. Rather than looking for GEwar cities around the world, you are now sent to look for famous (and some not-so-famous) landmarks from everywhere.

Here's the secret: They're all being pull from the main GEH file database. If you can't find one, just run a search in there, find the file that has the same title as the location you're trying to find, and there it will be!

The reason for the change is two-fold:

1 - To prevent (or at least slow down) scripting. These locations are not all in a single KML file, so they're going to be hard to script. On top of that, there are literally thousands of locations that will eventually be in there, so it will be tough to cheat.

2 - To make jewel hunting a bit more of a pain in the neck. Ideally, people only jewel hunt when necessary, and otherwise develop a nice income from oil wells, cotton fields, diamond mines, bank interest and city taxes. Still, jewels need to be around if you need them.

Since it's now much more difficult to find jewels, the rate will be going up. Not way up, but up a nice amount. Again, I don't want people to be jewel hunting for all of their income, so the rate won't be especially high.

Please post in here if you have any technical problems with the new system, or if some location is just "bad" and you can't find the jewel there.

Another reason not to hunt jewels.

Tech glitch....after downloading the new Jewel Hunting KML the search window locked up---unable to erase, type ,etc

Quote Originally Posted by jduddy
    Tech glitch....after downloading the new Jewel Hunting KML the search window locked up---unable to erase, type ,etc
    That's strange. The KML file is still almost exactly the same. In fact, you don't need to download the new one - your old one works fine.

I have to think that was just a Google Earth glitch and not related to this, but we'll see what others have to say...

I think its a good idea. Cuts down on scripting and gets back to leveraging Google Earth.

well it will also make everyone more worldly...

You seem to be using the look at location in the file and not the placemark location in the file. This makes some of them pretty hard to find if you know where the location is. For example Panama Canal.

Not to mention that in this case the canal is huge and the placemark is a tiny part of it...

Unhappy no chance for new gamers?

Ok, great news about the jewel searching. But whats about the newbies, the had no chance to come into the play. they need hours to find a jewel. Since 45 min i look for the jewel at lake titicaca in bolivia, zoom under 20 miles, but cant found it on the sea. Its fine to see the world, but herefor i have google earth since long times for researches. 1 hour for one or two jewels, thats the end of gaming. Google earth for searching all over the world, ok. but gewar ? what should a new gamer do with 5 miniarmies against the rest. login, money to the bank and wait for few years.

cheating kill games !

sunfly
    (17 armies, 12284 troops, working without scripts, only ressources and finding jewels)

Nice timing KayEss,

My geography is ok and for the few that I've found I haven't had to look much up, but suez canal was a real pain, I scrolled along the length of it slowly, then tried scrolling with canal on either side of screen and then just thought, bugger it, and went looking for the link. I left it on the port said side (North) and went a-googlin' when lo', the jewel FINALLY appeared, it was very slow to appear and the suez canal is very long. I'd Hate to see the Amazon river link

blitzkriegmj

so is Grand Canyon.... cannot find the jewel there ~~!!

now i am stuck there...

Unhappy search ??

---Click here for your next location
    Zoom in on the following location to find your jewel:
    This file is located in the country of Bolivia.---

Which location ??? no name, only a grey field

Quote Originally Posted by ronnielim

now i am stuck there...
    You have to download the file from the Download setion of Google Earth Hacks. The picture pretty much is the name of the kml file.
    For example:
    The picture says 'Pentagon - Updated'
    You have to go to GEH and search for the file 'Pentagon - Updated', not 'Pentagon September 12, 2001' or something by a different name. You then open the file, and GE will take you to the location (placemark).
    The jewel can be found in the same place as the placemark.

Hope that makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by sunfly
    no name, only a grey field
    There is meant to be a picture there (where the grey box is). Did you wait to see if it had loaded?

Quote Originally Posted by ronnielim

now i am stuck there...
    the same: no jewel in Grand Canyon

sorry: i see no "Grand Canyon - updated" - file