Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Big new jewel changes

Quote Originally Posted by Mickey
    I downloaded that KML file, zoomed in to about 20 miles and it popped up.

The KML files should be automatically centered on the correct location. All you should need to do (if anything) is zoom in.
    Thanks, Mickey, zooming in to about 20 miles in worked.

Mickey, you must be kidding with the new jewel hunt! I opened the file and it wants me to find the pyramids of Giza. Are we supposed to download megabites of files? Or search for hours? I don't know about the other players, but I have a life in the real world (job, girlfriend, websites etc). I already spent more time on GEW than I wanted. I can't spend hours to find 10 jewels. Armies can be gone in seconds, and now it's pretty hard to recover. Actually I didn't do jewel hunting, but after the exchange rate for resources went down I need to hold this option...

Quote Originally Posted by TheLeveller
    Mickey, you must be kidding with the new jewel hunt! I opened the file and it wants me to find the pyramids of Giza. Are we supposed to download megabites of files? Or search for hours? I don't know about the other players, but I have a life in the real world (job, girlfriend, websites etc). I already spent more time on GEW than I wanted. I can't spend hours to find 10 jewels. Armies can be gone in seconds, and now it's pretty hard to recover. Actually I didn't do jewel hunting, but after the exchange rate for resources went down I need to hold this option...
    You shouldn't have to search for hours. All the sites you have to locate come from the GEH database of files. If you use the serach function on the main page and type in the name exactly as it appears in the jewel hunting, you can locate the correct file easily. A few clicks later you have your jewel.

It took me maybe 30-45 seconds per jewel to locate and "take" the jewel.

When all the jewel hunters download the files from the database, wouldn't this make the site traffic go up like a rocket? Maybe you will take that "sightseeing" thing off after you see your bills...

Are we supposed to download megabites of files?
    The files are quite small, but yes, that's likely the quickest way to do it.

I already spent more time on GEW than I wanted. I can't spend hours to find 10 jewels. Armies can be gone in seconds, and now it's pretty hard to recover.
    That's the whole idea. I want a way to encourage people to build up a good economy on their own, where they have other resources flowing in on a consistent basis and they don't need to jewel hunt. My account has no special treatment - I have to get things the way everyone else does. As such, I'm working on building up my economy before I worry about attacking anyone substantially. I'm looking at making some useful changes to the other resources that should help people to better utilize them.

The bottom line is that I need some way for people to get things back in order after they get destroyed, but it has to be built in a such a way that scripts can't be used to take advantage of the system.

I may raise the jewel rate a bit higher to compensate for the extra time involved (although I already nearly doubled it), but I'm undecided at this point.

When all the jewel hunters download the files from the database, wouldn't this make the site traffic go up like a rocket? Maybe you will take that "sightseeing" thing off after you see your bills...
    That's a good point. However, I don't think it'll be much of an issue, as those files are quite small. The biggest drain on the server currently is the "five minute update script" that recalculates everything, gives out oil, gives out cotton, gives out diamonds, gives bank interest, gives city taxes, takes army costs, etc. I really don't think this will add to that by very much. I hope.

Angry

yuck
    Chad +1 from War_Peace
    http://www.free-games.com.au/Free_On...iplayer_Games/ -- Bunch of free online games similar to GEWARS

The biggest drain on the server currently is the "five minute update script" that recalculates everything, gives out oil, gives out cotton, gives out diamonds, gives bank interest, gives city taxes, takes army costs, etc.
    Why not do things in real-time? I haven't worked with PHP/mySQL, but in the world of Java, there's not that much difference between hitting the database to pull the "calculated" values versus pulling the raw data and calculating it right then (if you architect and code things properly, of course).

You can be smart about caching some things that don't need to be shown real-time, and leave some things in a scheduled task, but things like an army's time to a city should be real-time.

That's one more thing that I've been meaning to mention for quite some time

I want a way to encourage people to build up a good economy on their own, where they have other resources flowing in on a consistent basis and they don't need to jewel hunt.
    That's exactly what I do. But if you want to encourage people to build an economy based on resources and want to make jewel hunt less attractive/necessary, why do you lower the resource exchange rates and raise the jewel exchange rate? In my opinion that's doing the opposite.
    Last edited by TheLeveller; 10-21-2005 at 03:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by birq
    You can be smart about caching some things that don't need to be shown real-time, and leave some things in a scheduled task, but things like an army's time to a city should be real-time.
    I've looked at doing some of that, but there are a few issues:

- Right now, the army display in GE just pulls the current coordinates from the database. Once there gets to be a sizable number of armies out there, calculating that info on the fly (for every different GE user viewing it) could get rather server-intensive.
    - I need to know ahead of time exactly when they'll be arriving in a city so I can make things happen when they get there (changing their status and stuff).

It's all stuff that I can work my way around eventually, and probably will some day, but for now it's just not enough of a priority.

Why do you lower the resource exchange rates and raise the jewel exchange rate? In my opinion that's doing the opposite.
    Agreed. The jewel rate has actually stayed about the same (I had dropped it temporarily, so it's back "up" now, but it's really just where it used to be), but now jewel hunting is much more tedious, thus making it essentially a lower rate.

The resource rates dropped a bit, but the amount of each resource that is produced from your mines/wells/etc jumped UP quite a bit. I made tweak the rates upward a bit, but every resource will give you a 10-1000% rate of return, which isn't too shabby.

- Right now, the army display in GE just pulls the current coordinates from the database. Once there gets to be a sizable number of armies out there, calculating that info on the fly (for every different GE user viewing it) could get rather server-intensive.
    My bad; I wasn't thinking about GE, just the web interface. That makes things a little more hairy.

Now this is actually more fun.
    It's making much more use of Google Earth and what it can actually do.
    I was getting quite sick of seeing the same streets of those cities so this is actually a refreshment.

Mickey, I still think you need to check that the script is using the placemark location and not the lookat location as they are often quite different places (that is the Point tag inside the Placemark tag rather than the first LookAt tag).

The placemark location is better for those that know where the location is and can find it, but the lookat is probably better for those that grab the KML file from the download area. For many of the files the difference can easily be tens of kilometers if not more if the view is very oblique.

As you are parsing the files anyway it may be better to reject those that have a very different lookat and placemark location. If the file doesn't have a placemark at all then it is probably not worth using it.

I've stoped collecting them now - it was just too painful. I'll grow a bit slower but not waste quite so much time on it.

The more the jewels are worth the faster the game can be played. Jewel value = Game Speed. The only thing is, there's no defined "end" to the game. No winner. There should be some type of ending point or goal in mind to close and reset the game. Or multiple games.
    Chad +1 from War_Peace
    http://www.free-games.com.au/Free_On...iplayer_Games/ -- Bunch of free online games similar to GEWARS