Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Big Oil, Cotton and Diamond changes

I just got an oil well today, it lasts until November 17, which is 26 days. The production is 55 barrels...
    That's 143 geos, after the 50 geos I spent I will have a "profit" of 93 geos. 93 geos in 26 days...3,58 geos a day.
    Is this already the bottom of daily production and lasting time, or could it get even worse?

Quote Originally Posted by TheLeveller
    I just got an oil well today, it lasts until November 17, which is 26 days. The production is 55 barrels...
    That's 143 geos, after the 50 geos I spent I will have a "profit" of 93 geos. 93 geos in 26 days...3,58 geos a day.
    Is this already the bottom of daily production and lasting time, or could it get even worse?
    In theory, it could get a bit worse. The bare minimum is on diamond mines, which may make a minimum of 60 Geos. The production on that is right near the bottom - bad luck for you.

The idea is that you continue to build new ones every 36 hours or so. If you continue to do that, and they all last a long time, you'll eventually have 20 or 30 various things going at once, which will bring in 60-100 Geos a day.

Quote Originally Posted by Mickey
    In theory, it could get a bit worse. The bare minimum is on diamond mines, which may make a minimum of 60 Geos. The production on that is right near the bottom - bad luck for you.

The idea is that you continue to build new ones every 36 hours or so. If you continue to do that, and they all last a long time, you'll eventually have 20 or 30 various things going at once, which will bring in 60-100 Geos a day.
    ...20 or 30 various things at once, which will bring 60-100 Geos a day. In the past one single oil well made more than that a day.

Quote Originally Posted by Timmetie
    good thinking, but i think if its going to be such a big factor, we will just get different cells in 1 alliance again, at the moment there are no real advantages of actually being in the same alliance except seeing each other's information (which we're finding can be a downside as well).
    Hmmm, with the alliance there's at least a perception that members will back each other up. If you're a small fish on your own I suspect you'll get more picked on than if you're a small fish in a big alliance.

If the amount of crowding was worked out properly it would instill a cost as well as a benefit on forming alliances and in effect put a cap on the effective size of an alliance. If there's no benefit then why do so many players join them? And why are they in the game?

One thing I was thinking was that if some percentage, say 10%, of your resource production was spread around to the other alliance members then it would encourage alliances that formed around the total sustainable resource output.

Players who were always able to play (i.e could always find time to put down an oil well or cotton field at exactly the right time) would not find any benefit in an alliance as it would in effect tax them. Players who could only play occasionally would form alliances with others who played the same way as they would share in the production that they could generate.

There are a few follow on implications from this, but I'm sure you all get those.

Quote Originally Posted by TheLeveller
    In the past one single oil well made more than that a day.
    True, but it wouldn't last as long. You'd have to make 20 or 30 of them to keep that rate of income.

The bottom line, unless I'm doing my math wrong, is that this brings in the same amount of income but simply stretches it out longer. The players that build new wells/mines/fields more often will do better, as they'll stack up and generate more income per day. This rewards players that play the game every day or two, which is the goal of any game like this.

Maybe you can change the 36 hour limit to 24 hours? Users can set an hour and plant at the same time everyday...

I'm not too sure that moving the mines back to stingy long drawn out affairs is the right way to go. Now jewel hunting and jewel script creation has been given an enormous priority boost again because mines take as much as 10 days to pay you back before making any profit...

Middle ground? Or leave the time length and increase the output?

Default first thing good, second is bad

first change : every player will always find space to plant a field. Thus it will allow beginers to find a field easily. that's good for the game

second change : its consequence is that in one month, if things keep going like that, I'll have around 50 fields, a beginer won't be abble to compete with people like me. that's bad for the game

both : won't bonus cities holders be wining way too much money ? As an example, currently the day income of a group of 4 players is greater than the one of Atlanta's owner... will you make sure that it will stay the same or will it take 10 people to fight for Atlanta ?

Finally Mickey you did something I agree with Kudos to you ....
    "How do you kill Women and Children? It's easy you just don't lead them as much." Full Metal Jacket

Quote Originally Posted by dalou
    both : won't bonus cities holders be wining way too much money ? As an example, currently the day income of a group of 4 players is greater than the one of Atlanta's owner... will you make sure that it will stay the same or will it take 10 people to fight for Atlanta ?
    Bonus cities will only gain the money from wells that didnt fit in when they were still worth more, and i didnt really have the idea of the fields filling up.

actually, when the old wells start drying out, and the new ones havn't kicked in yet, the bonus cities will lose quite some money. ofcourse this will rebound, but i dont think itll rebound to new hights.

Default natural disaster

how about that.. earth quakes on mine field... fire on cotton field... leaks at oil drill....

NOt all the time but in a once in a while and the whole production line STOPs~!!...this can really bring down the income of the bonus city for a while.... and also force the owner of these city to save up~ and not pump all the income to their allies...
    Last edited by ronnielim; 10-23-2005 at 09:05 AM.

Talking

ronnie; I've suggested real-world natural distaster affect the game before, i think its brilliant idea thanks for bringing it up again

T.

Mickey, this new thing will be profitable once we have 20-30 wells, or whatever, but that will take over a month amass, with the timer. All my resources that are keeping my overall income high are gonna croak in a couple days. Please shorten the time limit.
    New, the Unofficial Site of GEwar. A trashtalk forum for all players. Check it out:
    http://www.gewarriors.com

Now with GAMES, so even if you can't be the best at GEWar, maybe you can set some highscores.

time for another source of income?

iron?
    "Surfing on the waves of sound..."

Quote Originally Posted by His Lord Uberdude
    Mickey, this new thing will be profitable once we have 20-30 wells, or whatever, but that will take over a month amass, with the timer. All my resources that are keeping my overall income high are gonna croak in a couple days. Please shorten the time limit.
    also, this 36 hour limit has no reason for existing now. remember that it was created as a way to prevent ppl settling too many fields, thus leaving others without space. Now, that┤s not possible anymore. The one I compete for space is me, and no more else.
    "Surfing on the waves of sound..."