Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Big Oil, Cotton and Diamond changes

Quote Originally Posted by felipeboralli
    also, this 36 hour limit has no reason for existing now. remember that it was created as a way to prevent ppl settling too many fields, thus leaving others without space. Now, thatīs not possible anymore. The one I compete for space is me, and no more else.
    It still exists so that you can't amass HUGE amounts of money too easily. If you can keep building more and more with no limit, you could quickly pile up a ton of money. This keeps it scaled back, at least a little bit.

Well, I guess the game is gonna move a LOT slower now....
    New, the Unofficial Site of GEwar. A trashtalk forum for all players. Check it out:
    http://www.gewarriors.com

Now with GAMES, so even if you can't be the best at GEWar, maybe you can set some highscores.

Quote Originally Posted by Mickey
    It still exists so that you can't amass HUGE amounts of money too easily. If you can keep building more and more with no limit, you could quickly pile up a ton of money. This keeps it scaled back, at least a little bit.
    actually i agree with felipe here.

if i choose to fill my entire diamond field in 1 go, shouldnt this be my choice?

maby the fields are too large now for this kind of thing, but maby make em smaller.

Quote Originally Posted by Mickey
    the point is that big players want to scale up, getting these huge ammounts of money you say. itīs lacking scalability. A big player must get more money than a small one, what not happens today, except for the bank.

Then a reset comes regularly to smash down the differences and make all the same again. The bigger should be allowed to get more money than the smaller: I want to be able to use all the money I have now to create fields/mines. If everybody is allowed to it, players with the best strat will be able to get it.

Now, as is, itīs not the best strategy that wins. The question in GEWar is only and solely money, and how to get money, being a economical game. The richest wins the war. Simple like that.
    "Surfing on the waves of sound..."

Quote Originally Posted by Timmetie
    actually i agree with felipe here.

if i choose to fill my entire diamond field in 1 go, shouldnt this be my choice?

maby the fields are too large now for this kind of thing, but maby make em smaller.
    Yep I agree, decrease the field area so that everyone can only build about 30 m/w/f of each type and abolish the limit. A newbie will (if he has good fiscal sense) spend the first week in the game building up his asset base and expanding from there. One week of building instead of 4 weeks to build up to maximum output. Then it's just a job of maintaining the spaces to ensure they are full - still an ongoing day or two exercise.

Quote Originally Posted by blitzkriegmj
    Yep I agree, decrease the field area so that everyone can only build about 30 m/w/f of each type and abolish the limit. A newbie will (if he has good fiscal sense) spend the first week in the game building up his asset base and expanding from there. One week of building instead of 4 weeks to build up to maximum output. Then it's just a job of maintaining the spaces to ensure they are full - still an ongoing day or two exercise.
    That makes sense. I'll play with that tomorrow night and see what I can do.

At the moment the difference between players who can put a lot of time into it and those that can't isn't that great. The players who are always able to play may get a new mine about every 36 and a bit hours. The players who don't have that much time maybe every 48 and a bit hours and occasionally longer.

If you remove that limit then those with time will leap ahead and those without will find themselves so far behind in money terms that it becomes pointless to play.

Quote Originally Posted by KayEss
    At the moment the difference between players who can put a lot of time into it and those that can't isn't that great. The players who are always able to play may get a new mine about every 36 and a bit hours. The players who don't have that much time maybe every 48 and a bit hours and occasionally longer.

If you remove that limit then those with time will leap ahead and those without will find themselves so far behind in money terms that it becomes pointless to play.
    I don't understand your point, KayEss. If you save up your money and build just mines, a player who constantly checks their available geos and buys a mine everytime chance they get will start seeing an imporvement to their passive income faster than one who checks and updates every 48 hours. This is a problem to you?

To use Mickey's tennis analogy, if someone wants to scale the high earner lists, they'll train, hire good coaches, train more and improve their game.... Surely the ATP should outlaw this, so you and me can get a share of that $1,000,000 prize pool?

The less often player should and will be at a disadvantge to someone willing to devote more time to overseeing their affairs. Such is the way of things. Although the once every 48 hour player will still be able to reach the same level of earnings aswell, because in this case, they are capped. They just may take longer to get there.

Blitzkriegmj

The less often player should and will be at a disadvantge to someone willing to devote more time to overseeing their affairs. Such is the way of things. Although the once every 48 hour player will still be able to reach the same level of earnings aswell, because in this case, they are capped. They just may take longer to get there.

Blitzkriegmj
    I'm not saying that somebody who plays less often shouldn't be at a disadvantage. I'm questioning the size of the disparity that should be allowed.

If somebody uses a couple of days and fills the oil, cotton and diamond areas then they will be able to rocket up the leader board given the amount of cash that is going to bring in. With the ability to only plant a resource every 36 hours this is stretched out somewhat meaning that the difference between those who have lot of time to play and those that have less time is diminished.

Those with a lot of time can collect jewels, but this isn't as efficient as the extra jewels can only go into the bank and earn a small percentage. The profit on the resource mining makes them much more valuable as the rate of return is higher.

The question isn't about whether or not players who have more time to play should have an advantage, but rather just how big an advantage do you want to give them? I don't have time to plant a load of resources, but can manage to do something every day or so (as at the moment). This means that I'm in with a reasonable chance of being in the top half of the leaderboard.

If I was up against players who had their full compliment of resources alread then I would just stop playing as the difference would be too great and I'd always be consigned to the bottom half of the leader board.

I think that reducing the time between being able to plant resources by too much removes the strategy from the game and makes the leader board just a record of time invested in planting resources.

If somebody uses a couple of days and fills the oil, cotton and diamond areas then they will be able to rocket up the leader board given the amount of cash that is going to bring in. With the ability to only plant a resource every 36 hours this is stretched out somewhat meaning that the difference between those who have lot of time to play and those that have less time is diminished.
    Not true. The proposal that Mickey has agreed to is to allow a user to plant as many mines as possible into their own area supplied, but that area will be smaller meaning a maximum of say 30 mines can be built. Someone playing constanly and someone playing part time will have the same limitation, but the person playing constantly will reach that limitation first, then the other WILL catch up.

If I was up against players who had their full compliment of resources alread then I would just stop playing as the difference would be too great and I'd always be consigned to the bottom half of the leader board.
    That's a defeatest attitude. I've actually never played a online multiplayer game like this where you come in half way through the game before. I would expect if I started afresh that I would need an entrance startegy. Mine would be to build up an asset base first and expand from there. Pick your fights. Don't expect to defeat a bonus city or 10,000,000 + city early on, or if you do, don't expect to keep it for long. Get a reputation, be around for a while, PM potential allies as well as bluff enemies (not that I ever bluff ). Basically you're right, a player starting up can't beat the guys that have been there for a while ...... Yet.

See you on the battlefield

Blitzkriegmj

Not true. The proposal that Mickey has agreed to is to allow a user to plant as many mines as possible into their own area supplied, but that area will be smaller meaning a maximum of say 30 mines can be built. Someone playing constantly and someone playing part time will have the same limitation, but the person playing constantly will reach that limitation first, then the other WILL catch up.
    I'm not sure that it is possible to catch up, but only time will tell. The revenue per day from resources will catch up, but revenue from interest never will (and once a certain amount of cash is in the bank then this becomes the single biggest factor).

It skews the game towards needing a massive amount of time invested immediately the accounts are reset in order to get ahead. Anybody who misses this early boat won't stand a chance against those that have the time/energy at that point. This doesn't mean that they can't compete against other players at their level though, but in order to find those we need a leader board that gives away a little bit more than just a player's city occupation.

but revenue from interest never will (and once a certain amount of cash is in the bank then this becomes the single biggest factor).
    The point of this game is to buy armies and conquer cities, people like to have a buffer amount in the bank, but then they use that money to buy armies and troops and launch attacks. Some people like more of a buffer in the bank than others - You'll reach your happy point. Interest money then gets used to fund troop purchases. The only ones who tend to create large bank accounts are the ones that somehow slip under the radar and don't get attacked. I personally prefer to have troops in the field of battle because they are what moves me up the leaderbord. To be the richest has no esteem, therefore I believe people aren't as far ahead of you as you think....

but in order to find those we need a leader board that gives away a little bit more than just a player's city occupation.
    I'd like that too! Think of a way of implementing one showing other details and post it in the feature suggestion board.

Blitzkriegmj

you are misunderstanding what I said. My position was quite radical there. What I said is that I have money to build 500 oil wells, I should be allowed to. Letīs say your growth is limitless.
    But I donīt want you all to think the way the way I do: itīs just my opinion.
    "Surfing on the waves of sound..."

Quote Originally Posted by felipeboralli
    you are misunderstanding what I said. My position was quite radical there. What I said is that I have money to build 500 oil wells, I should be allowed to. Letīs say your growth is limitless.
    But I donīt want you all to think the way the way I do: itīs just my opinion.
    Well I like that too