Thread: A question of morality and vandalism

Default A question of morality and vandalism

If someone happened to know of an abandoned set of tennis courts that were officially closed by the city and the doors were chained shut, and considering that they have no net anymore and the walls are used only for graphitti (beautifully done i might add), would it be wrong to paint someone's name on the floor of the courts so that when the picture was updated next he would have bragging rights within his/her circle of friends and among the google earth comunity?

someone doesn't have a big problem with it but would like to hear other people's opinions.

speedfreak227

I say go for it!, just dont use someone's real name, use your err.. someone's online handle Watch for pigs, too!!

Try to make it as pretty as you can, we dont need more eyesores on the planet

You'd probably have better luck on a roof though!

T.

no, a roof is too small. i was thinking to, i mean, SOMEONE was thinking to go measure it up this christmas when he/she is home for the holidays, draft it out in auto cad and prepare the letters before hand so that it's a quick one night job under the moonlight with the help of a few buddies during the follwing summer.

someone is thinking that the letters could be pre-fabbed out of paper or cardboard or something, laid out, traced around, and then painted in. with the use of auto cad i could also find the corner position of each letter so that they could be quickly laid out by a team of workers.

because of the fact that there's ZERO traffic through the courts someone isn't too worried about the paint wearing off by the time the next picture is taken but someone would like to get ahold of some good paint such as the paint used to paint the lines on the streets.

speedfreak227

If you can, take a friend, it will make the process a bit quicker and gives you some time to use nice/different colours and make it look pretty.. people are less likely to complain about graffiti and have it painted over/removed if it actually looks like "art"

I suggest the cans of car-paint you can get at K-Mart (Australia) Wal-mart (US/CA) or any of those places like that, they usually sell for $10 AUD ($5 or $6 USD) and are "intended" for home-repair jobs on chipping paint on your car.. its durable and colourful, it will probably take 4 or 5 cans, so grab a few different colours and make it funky!

Good luck!!

T.

NOTE: I do not condone this beavior in any way, nor have I commited such a crime
    just in case a goody-goody is reading this *chuckle*
    Last edited by araT; 11-05-2005 at 07:04 AM.

ok, someone wouldn't even THINK about touching the grafitti on the walls. it's incredible. but the floor of the tennis courts is garbage. it'll need a good sweeping.

as for purchasing paint, walmart is evil. someone would rather paint in their own blood than shop there. and the size of letters someone is thinking about will probably take at least a can (if using spray) per letter. if the letters are drawn in autocad first their area can be quickly calculated and the amount of coverage can be checked with the coverage recomended on a can of paint.

someone is excited about the prospects of this.

speedfreak227

Ok well, if someone is thinking of going with cans, someone else recommends exterior house paint - I dont think you can buy road-paint legally, but i've painted lines on basketball courts at school (a detention one day, dont ask) and they were using good ole' housepaint, it lasted about 2 years with permanent use.. probably could have lasted longer (though a bit worn by then) but they built a new sports centre

Sounds cool! I cant wait to see it! go complain to your council that the sat. imagery needs updating once you're done

T.

i'm curious, has anyone out there claimed credit for any landmarks they've created solely for the viewing in google earth?

speedfreak227

This thread needs to be monitored.....by SOMEONE..

My Employer ID is: 84713