Thread: 2 Questions

Default 2 Questions

Hi all, Im a newbie and have 2 questions about GE.

1. For some reason, unless I' directly over an area, a search will come up negative or direct me to some local place not relevent. EX. If I'm over New York, and type in Disneyland, GE will either say no matches, or send me to the Disney Store in Manhattan. The only way I get a full search is if I zoom out to the default view. Ideas?

2. Where do I save overlays and downloaded images to, so that they load the next time I open GE?

Many Thanks

Hi!

Firstly, welcome to GEH

1. Local search is meant only to search the area you are looking at, so theres nothing you can really do about that except zoom out till you can see most of the USA & try again.

2. Go to the add menu, and select "new placemark" it will then let you name it, move it around and generally "edit" it, it will then put it in that MyPlaces list on the left ...To export/save them, i.e; to upload them here right-click the placemark and select 'save as', then save it to your desktop and you are set to go

Hope this helped!

T.

I guess if you tried "disneyland, fl" it would take you there......... Or is that "disneyland, ca"? Always get them confused. The more info you can use (city, county, state, zip, etc) then the better the result will be.

<gd+RLF for stepping over executioner's advice>
    Is it better to be told to "Have a Nice Day" by someone who doesn't mean it, or to be told to "Eff-OFF" by someone who does?

Highlander, have you actually tested what you are suggesting? it doesnt work here.. please stop trying to confuse our newbies..

T.

I have, and amazingly it does (especially in the US). Of course, it is not foolproof, but I have been able to zip to various locations just by typing in an "obscure" town or city (near to where I was in Belarus in January, for example) and the country and it can be found. In major EU and US/Canadian cities, you can say street, city and off you go. Try "Heaton Close, London" as an example. It comes up with 2 choices for you.

<Hopes he can run faster than the axe is swinging>
    Is it better to be told to "Have a Nice Day" by someone who doesn't mean it, or to be told to "Eff-OFF" by someone who does?

Dude.. thats the fly to search, not local search!..

T.

Super Moderator Captain Hornblower's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Highlander739
    I guess if you tried "disneyland, fl" it would take you there......... Or is that "disneyland, ca"? Always get them confused.
    Same problem here, but I use a "trick" to find it out myself:
    Disneyland: That la remembers me of Los Angeles/California -> Disneyland is in California
    Disneyworld: That orl remembers me of Orlando/Florida -> Disneyworld is in Orlando/Florida

Software is like entropy. It is difficult to grasp, weighs nothing, and obeys the second law of thermodynamics; i.e., it always increases.
    Norman R. Augustine

Quote Originally Posted by araT
    Dude.. thats the fly to search, not local search!..

T.

Well, my understanding of the original question was "fly to" and not "local"..... If you over NYC you sure wouldn't be wanting Disneyland there since it don't exist, which is why the search directed him to the Disney Store and not the amusement park elsewhere.

For example, I typed in "Disneyland" over NYC and this is the result.... Not quite California, shall we say!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default It works!!!!

Thanks alot for the quick replies. It works.

Quote Originally Posted by Highlander739
    Still trying to get used to an AZERTY keyboard!!!
    I didn't know anything like that existed. In what country are they used?

Very OT, I know, apologies.

Stadsman

"Sponges grow in the ocean. That just kills me. I wonder how much deeper the ocean would be if that didn't happen."
    -- Steven Wright

Quote Originally Posted by Stadsman
    I didn't know anything like that existed. In what country are they used?

Very OT, I know, apologies.
    Anywhere you speak German and/or French..... Instead of changing one or two keys for the extra "letters" (sorry AraT!!!), they change the whole god**** keyboard!!

And I am sure that one certain executioner knows exactly what I mean after having to change to QWERTY!!!

hehee, yeah I do know what you mean another great stuff-up are the keyboards they use in South America, even all the symbols change positions! that drove me nuts last xmas while I was there..

I'm very used to QWERTY as I moved here when I was 3, but whenever I'm back in Europe, or anywhere overseas it kills me.. I make sure my laptop comes with me these days most net cafes have spare network cables, and sometimes they even charge you less for internet cos you're using your own PC!

T.

Thumbs up wats up

Delete
    drop 1st_amigo a pm and we will let u in

Edit:
    If you don't stop posting that nonsense, I will drop all 3 amigos and hawkxc

Captain Hornblower
    Last edited by Captain Hornblower; 12-14-2005 at 05:50 PM.