Thread: Broadcast Television Towers discussion

Default Broadcast Television Towers discussion

This is a discussion thread for the following file:

Broadcast Television Towers

Hi All,

It seems that no one has started a collection of broadcast television tower locations.

If you have ever tried to adjust your television and wished there was a way to know exactly where the tower was so you could get a better signal, this is the place for you (and me).

Working in television myself I thought it would be cool to start a project with help from EVERYONE.

I have started a network link folder that can be updated with new tower locations as we go.

So join the fun and send me or post accurate KML placemarks for the TV station tower locations near you and we will start a collection together. I have started with the towers here in St. Louis Missouri where I live.

Remember we are looking for the broadcast tower location, not the location of the station or studio.

Thanks!

-Mark-

Talking

This is a fantastic idea!!!

Here's My first contribution - I cant remember who owns it, I think its Telstra.. I'll check next time I dive by there..

T.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Here's my next one; Munich TV tower, its over near Olympia Park

I Also did a search of the file archive and there are lots of TV towers around the world in there, you have some of them.. but I didnt check if you had them all

My last suggestion is maybe to change the icons of the placemarks from the standard yellow pushpins? Maybe to the webcam icon like i'm using, or maybe something else

Thanks again!

T.

Default Two towers in Canberra

Telstra tower and a small one north of Belconnen

Default Thanks for the suggestions!

Thank you to everyone...

I will add your files as soon as I can get to it.

I have left the files as they were when they were given to me, so whatever icons they used is what it is. I did not want to upset anyone by "editing" their files.

Please send more files as you find them.

-Mark-

Noone will be offended, its just an icon come up with something cool for it, use the film strip and change the icon colour or something.. make it unique! - It looks more professional when all the placemarks match

I'll be back with more places in the near future, its a busy day here!

T.

Default Update...

Okay,

So I have created a new "tower" icon in Photoshop and added some new placemarks from around the world, plus all of the towers in my home state of Missouri U.S.A.

Hope you all like it...

-Mark-

Awesome!! its getting better and better!!

T.

Default New Update...

Everything that has been sent to me is now included, plus I added the towers in the city of Chicago. I will slowly add new cities aross the U.S.A. as I have time.

I noticed that the tower locations are not always accurate according to the photos in Google Earth. Please note that my information is directly from the United States Federal Communications Commission (FCC) station license records. I imagine that in the original application for station license, the latitude and longitude given was not always accurately stated.

The test web server at work finally replicated my "tower" icons between all of the online web servers, so now you should be able to see the new "tower" icon.

Thanks to everyone for their help. I look forward to more placemarks...

-Mark-

Default Web site with location

Hi check out W9WI.com a ham radio site with location info for tv tower locations

Default Edit Location to Show Wireless Internet Provider Coverage?

Is it possible to edit the location of the tower so that it will show the location of Wireless Internet Provider towers? I would like to use this to show all the hilltops that can be seen for hops that I am trying to create to get high speed internet into unserved areas.

Default SF Bay Area Update

I see that this thread has been open for quite a while, and it didn't look like there were many additions to the base file. I hope you guys don’t' mind but I took the liberty of loading the base file and added some new locations for the Greater San Francisco Bay Area as there were only 2 transmitters bookmarked one of which I’m not even sure is still in operation (Referring to the Santa Cruz Transmitter) . The info I provided is mostly from the FCC database, but thought it might provide some useful information to those who are trying to align their Antennae for optimal reception, and to maximize their channel availability.

I myself am using a homemade DB4 antenna created from a do it yourself DTV plan I found online, It was interesting to find that even with this homemade contraption, I have been able to receive transmissions from over 60+ miles away. I figured it would work for the extremely local stations, But I never imagined I'd get the reception range that I do.

If I have overstepped my bounds by modifying this file and re-uploading it to the board, I do apologize, it was only an attempt to update and expand on the data you folks have already provided.

Cheers,
    James