Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ending fake accounts

Hybrid View

Lightbulb Ending fake accounts

I was playing Runescape the other day (good game), and I was thinking about the multiple accounts problem.

Part of how the cut back on fake accounts is that they don't allow transferring of items ("trading," as they call it) unless both parties are logged on. It seems simple, but it does crack down on things. Part of the problem with our system is that you can make bank transfers anytime of anyday to anyone.

The other part of how the cut back is by simply not allowing multiple accounts to be logged in from the same IP. Obviously, this makes it rather difficult to send items to a second account.

So, we can apply this quite well in this game, I think. The most effective part would be not allowing multiple IP's to be logged in simultaneously. I know there are those of you who are on the same router in your office, etc., but we have to think for the good of the game. Fake accounts must be stopped, and while our currents methods may work somewhat, but they're not 100% there, and they're a pain to boot.

And the other part: both parties must be logged on to perform bank transactions. This should REALLY kill transferring items between multiple accounts, when combined with the above rule. I know it'll be a pretty big bother, but I think it's workable.
    New, the Unofficial Site of GEwar. A trashtalk forum for all players. Check it out:
    http://www.gewarriors.com

Now with GAMES, so even if you can't be the best at GEWar, maybe you can set some highscores.

But two problems would remain:

1) What about different time zones? There are a few in my alliance that go to sleep when I wake up and visa versa.

2) It is so easy to use software to fake your IP. Or just a proxie. So it might be useless coding for Mickey then.

Though perhaps vBulletin has a simple mod for this.

Quote Originally Posted by His Lord Uberdude
    And the other part: both parties must be logged on to perform bank transactions. This should REALLY kill transferring items between multiple accounts, when combined with the above rule. I know it'll be a pretty big bother, but I think it's workable.
    That wouldn't solve the problem, because to be online simultaneously you just have to use two different browsers like firefox and ie, one using a proxy. In this case you would avoid two identic ips and both "users" would be online at the same time.

i think the best way to prevent fake accounts should be some restriction in bank transfers, as that is the only way fake accounts are useful to the cheater.

shadowdani

i think getting rid of transfers would be a good idea. while it's nice to help out a teammate sometimes it's also the easiest way to cheat.

speedfreak227

Default Transfers

Quote Originally Posted by speedfreak227
    i think getting rid of transfers would be a good idea. while it's nice to help out a teammate sometimes it's also the easiest way to cheat.

speedfreak227
    I think that transfers are an important part of the game, but maybe with a couple of changes...

I'm thinking limit transfers between individual players to once a day, and allow one of each withdraw/deposit for yourself every 10 minutes. (Separate issue, but same feature set. I mention it because I've twice now lost cities when I deposited money, then got attacked, where I could have beefed up and won if I could have got money back out. Bad timing and probably not all that prevelant.)

well, even once a day doesn't really change anything. if "my girlfriend" starts up an account and sends me her daily earnings once per day or even once per week it's still just as profitable for me.

how about you can only send a certain percentage of you total wealth to someone? say 10 or 20%? and that could only be done once per day.

wow, now i'm thinking of how much fun i could have with calculus working that one out.

speedfreak227

The bank has also become the greatest feature of the game and is necessary if you want to build up an economy. The game should expand and not go back to what it was when it started.
    It's still beta so all the time to get the bugs and holes out in some other way.

Quote Originally Posted by speedfreak227

wow, now i'm thinking of how much fun i could have with calculus working that one out.

speedfreak227
    Geez speed I know school is important, but geez
    One foot in the stirup, the other on the transporter pad.

Default How about this?

Quote Originally Posted by WaywardTraveller
    I think that transfers are an important part of the game, but maybe with a couple of changes...

I'm thinking limit transfers between individual players to once a day, and allow one of each withdraw/deposit for yourself every 10 minutes. (Separate issue, but same feature set. I mention it because I've twice now lost cities when I deposited money, then got attacked, where I could have beefed up and won if I could have got money back out. Bad timing and probably not all that prevelant.)
    You must be a paid member to use the services of the bank.

Quote Originally Posted by MkhitarSparapet
    You must be a paid member to use the services of the bank.
    ZOING!

But that's too much to reserve for members. The bank is just a basic feature that's too intergrated into the game to take away.

And besides, what's gonna stop the paying people from cheating then?
    New, the Unofficial Site of GEwar. A trashtalk forum for all players. Check it out:
    http://www.gewarriors.com

Now with GAMES, so even if you can't be the best at GEWar, maybe you can set some highscores.

Blocking connections from the same IP is a good way to hinder someone from establishing a fake account.

You need only to check these two HTTP-environment variables:
    REMOTE_ADDR and HTTP_X_FORWARDED_FOR

If there are for instance multiple connections from one 'REMOTE_ADDR' you must check the other. If HTTP_X_FORWARDED_FOR has not a value: zappp!

Example: our alliances 'uses' GEW mainly from work, we share all one IP, but in the HTTP-Header you can find a value in HTTP_X_FORWARDED_FOR.

REMOTE_ADDR 213.xxx.xxx.xxx
    HTTP_X_FORWARDED_FOR 192.168.2.32 (my local IP)

Coding that feature should be done with a snap of the fingers.

Quote Originally Posted by WalterNeff
    Blocking connections from the same IP is a good way to hinder someone from establishing a fake account.

You need only to check these two HTTP-environment variables:
    REMOTE_ADDR and HTTP_X_FORWARDED_FOR

If there are for instance multiple connections from one 'REMOTE_ADDR' you must check the other. If HTTP_X_FORWARDED_FOR has not a value: zappp!

Example: our alliances 'uses' GEW mainly from work, we share all one IP, but in the HTTP-Header you can find a value in HTTP_X_FORWARDED_FOR.

REMOTE_ADDR 213.xxx.xxx.xxx
    HTTP_X_FORWARDED_FOR 192.168.2.32 (my local IP)

Coding that feature should be done with a snap of the fingers.
    But there a tons of people who share computers. For example, I share a computer with my wife, and we both have accounts.

Also, forcing your browser through an anonymizer or just a normal proxy is a snap. You could have a different proxy for each fake account.

Quote Originally Posted by birq
    But there a tons of people who share computers. For example, I share a computer with my wife, and we both have accounts.

Also, forcing your browser through an anonymizer or just a normal proxy is a snap. You could have a different proxy for each fake account.
    Your point!
    Then the procedure should be changed, at least it should gave some warnings which could then be investigated.

But as stated above by Lukepuuk:
    "The game should expand and not go back to what it was when it started."
    Changing the bank parameters to 'only-once-a-day' is a 'giant leap' backwards.

Quote Originally Posted by WalterNeff
    Your point!
    Then the procedure should be changed, at least it should gave some warnings which could then be investigated.

But as stated above by Lukepuuk:
    "The game should expand and not go back to what it was when it started."
    Changing the bank parameters to 'only-once-a-day' is a 'giant leap' backwards.
    I second that. Totally agree. There has to be another way.
    It's hard...how about same IP's not being able to send money to eachother?
    Good or bad idea?

Quote Originally Posted by Lukepuuk
    how about same IP's not being able to send money to eachother?
    Good or bad idea?
    Good Idea
    One foot in the stirup, the other on the transporter pad.