Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2000 GEO's Available

Ever since the invention of Charles Babbage's difference engine in 1822, computers have required a means of instructing them to perform a specific task. This means is known as a programming language. Computer languages were first composed of a series of steps to wire a particular program; these morphed into a series of steps keyed into the computer and then executed; later these languages acquired advanced features such as logical branching and object orientation. The computer languages of the last fifty years have come in two stages, the first major languages and the second major languages, which are in use today.

In the beginning, Charles Babbage's difference engine could only be made to execute tasks by changing the gears which executed the calculations. Thus, the earliest form of a computer language was physical motion. Eventually, physical motion was replaced by electrical signals when the US Government built the ENIAC in 1942. It followed many of the same principles of Babbage's engine and hence, could only be "programmed" by presetting switches and rewiring the entire system for each new "program" or calculation. This process proved to be very tedious.

In 1945, John Von Neumann was working at the Institute for Advanced Study. He developed two important concepts that directly affected the path of computer programming languages. The first was known as "shared-program technique" (www.softlord.com). This technique stated that the actual computer hardware should be simple and not need to be hand-wired for each program. Instead, complex instructions should be used to control the simple hardware, allowing it to be reprogrammed much faster.

The second concept was also extremely important to the development of programming languages. Von Neumann called it "conditional control transfer" (www.softlord.com). This idea gave rise to the notion of subroutines, or small blocks of code that could be jumped to in any order, instead of a single set of chronologically ordered steps for the computer to take. The second part of the idea stated that computer code should be able to branch based on logical statements such as IF (expression) THEN, and looped such as with a FOR statement. "Conditional control transfer" gave rise to the idea of "libraries," which are blocks of code that can be reused over and over.

In 1949, a few years after Von Neumann's work, the language Short Code appeared (www.byte.com). It was the first computer language for electronic devices and it required the programmer to change its statements into 0's and 1's by hand. Still, it was the first step towards the complex languages of today. In 1951, Grace Hopper wrote the first compiler, A-0 (www.byte.com). A compiler is a program that turns the language's statements into 0's and 1's for the computer to understand. This lead to faster programming, as the programmer no longer had to do the work by hand.

In 1957, the first of the major languages appeared in the form of FORTRAN. Its name stands for FORmula TRANslating system. The language was designed at IBM for scientific computing. The components were very simple, and provided the programmer with low-level access to the computers innards. Today, this language would be considered restrictive as it only included IF, DO, and GOTO statements, but at the time, these commands were a big step forward. The basic types of data in use today got their start in FORTRAN, these included logical variables (TRUE or FALSE), and integer, real, and double-precision numbers.

Though FORTAN was good at handling numbers, it was not so good at handling input and output, which mattered most to business computing. Business computing started to take off in 1959, and because of this, COBOL was developed. It was designed from the ground up as the language for businessmen. Its only data types were numbers and strings of text. It also allowed for these to be grouped into arrays and records, so that data could be tracked and organized better. It is interesting to note that a COBOL program is built in a way similar to an essay, with four or five major sections that build into an elegant whole. COBOL statements also have a very English-like grammar, making it quite easy to learn. All of these features were designed to make it easier for the average business to learn and adopt it.

In 1958, John McCarthy of MIT created the LISt Processing (or LISP) language. It was designed for Artificial Intelligence (AI) research. Because it was designed for such a highly specialized field, its syntax has rarely been seen before or since. The most obvious difference between this language and other languages is that the basic and only type of data is the list, denoted by a sequence of items enclosed by parentheses. LISP programs themselves are written as a set of lists, so that LISP has the unique ability to modify itself, and hence grow on its own. The LISP syntax was known as "Cambridge Polish," as it was very different from standard Boolean logic (Wexelblat, 177) :

x V y - Cambridge Polish, what was used to describe the LISP program
    OR(x,y) - parenthesized prefix notation, what was used in the LISP program
    x OR y - standard Boolean logic

LISP remains in use today because its highly specialized and abstract nature.

The Algol language was created by a committee for scientific use in 1958. It's major contribution is being the root of the tree that has led to such languages as Pascal, C, C++, and Java. It was also the first language with a formal grammar, known as Backus-Naar Form or BNF (McGraw-Hill Encyclopedia of Science and Technology, 454). Though Algol implemented some novel concepts, such as recursive calling of functions, the next version of the language, Algol 68, became bloated and difficult to use (www.byte.com). This lead to the adoption of smaller and more compact languages, such as Pascal.

Pascal was begun in 1968 by Niklaus Wirth. Its development was mainly out of necessity for a good teaching tool. In the beginning, the language designers had no hopes for it to enjoy widespread adoption. Instead, they concentrated on developing good tools for teaching such as a debugger and editing system and support for common early microprocessor machines which were in use in teaching institutions.

Pascal was designed in a very orderly approach, it combined many of the best features of the languages in use at the time, COBOL, FORTRAN, and ALGOL. While doing so, many of the irregularities and oddball statements of these languages were cleaned up, which helped it gain users (Bergin, 100-101). The combination of features, input/output and solid mathematical features, made it a highly successful language. Pascal also improved the "pointer" data type, a very powerful feature of any language that implements it. It also added a CASE statement, that allowed instructions to to branch like a tree in such a manner:

Quote Originally Posted by rusty741
    Then freak guy accuse me of plagrism/cheating, and well, its obvious he is an easy chain to pull.
    i didn't accuse you of anything. i let you know that what you were proposing was against the student code of conduct everywhere in north america. and if by "he's an easy chain to pull" you mean that i have ethics and high moral standards, then yes, i do.

So, have a good day gentleman, clearly no one here can program, (expect Mikey).
    don't be so arrogant. people not willing to cheat doesn't mean they don't know how to program. i can program, i had to take it for my engineering degree and i'll admit it was a @$#&*.

speedfreak227

Quote Originally Posted by speedfreak227
    i didn't accuse you of anything. i let you know that what you were proposing was against the student code of conduct everywhere in north america. and if by "he's an easy chain to pull" you mean that i have ethics and high moral standards, then yes, i do.

don't be so arrogant. people not willing to cheat doesn't mean they don't know how to program. i can program, i had to take it for my engineering degree and i'll admit it was a @$#&*.

speedfreak227
    Speedy dont give into rusty238544756.......he is only programming your emotions.

So, Rusty....
    If this program is such a pain in the butt, what makes you think someone's gonna do for Monopoley money? Geez, it's worthless outside of the game. I mean, if you were poised to deposit into someone's PayPal, you might get somewhere, unethical or not, but it just won't go with "geos."
    New, the Unofficial Site of GEwar. A trashtalk forum for all players. Check it out:
    http://www.gewarriors.com

Now with GAMES, so even if you can't be the best at GEWar, maybe you can set some highscores.

I was curious to see if any one would bite at the chance for 2000 geos. Didn't really have super high hopes here. I thought it being the type of game it is, it might have attracted a decently educated crowd. It clearly does, but not an educated crowd wanting to help. Or atleast I surley came off as enough of an A-hole that no one wants to help me :0) And yes I did hire a tutor over the summer and that costed me a cool $20 an hour. I seriously doubt I'll go through that fiasico this time since the guy didn't even do what I really needed done which is my programs.

Ya'll have to bear with me, its been about 5 years since I'm posted on a message board. This game is what started making me do some limited posts, because like everyone else here, this game kicks a$$. For reasons like this current posting line is why i'm not a huge fan of posting on fourms on the internet. Too easy to piss people off, and quite frankly, it is a message board off in deep space, and I really don't care what I post on message boards especially if it is related to a game. Not to take anything away from this message board, but I put on a different hat when i'm here vs. some professional site. It's ok to drink and drive here, but not drink and drive in other places.

I don't know just rambling. Got a test this morning in 2 hours which is what I should be doing so I'll talk to you'all later.

Rusty Riley

Rusty -
    Perhaps if you had spent the time it takes to get 2,000 geos working on this project you are trying to outsource now, you wouldn't have to pay someone to do it for you.
    Sincerely,
    Beezer

Actually 2000 geos was easy to get. What I need to do is get myself out of the forums. There addicting.

Oh, I just had an idea: Give me 2000 Geos now, and I won't turn you in to your Dean of Students.

Is blackmail better or worse than plagarism?

Quote Originally Posted by birq
    Oh, I just had an idea: Give me 2000 Geos now, and I won't turn you in to your Dean of Students.

Is blackmail better or worse than plagarism?
    In this case it should work much better

Alright, I'll tell you all what. I'll post an algrothrim tomorrow and if someone can figure out what I need, How about you all give me a timeframe, and I will pay out 2000 GEO's to those that respond and split winings if more then one by the dead line.

To give you a start it is perterson's algrothrim. I can do it with 2 threads no problem, but I need to do it with three threads. It has to be with perterson's algrothrim. I'll post the 2 threaded algrothrim tomorrow after my test.

I was thinking by end of day it should be due this coming monday?

Any takers?

I give 200 Geos to the person that goes to the dentist office for me tomorrow...

Cheating sucks. I don't like the idea of people getting degrees fore something they can't do themself. If I imagine having a surgery and the surgent cheated himself through college and does not know what he's doing. Or paying a lawyer who is lacking knowledge in law...terrible thoughts...

lol, amen to that!

To give you a start it is perterson's algrothrim.
    Poor Rusty - he can't spell "Peterson" or "Algorithm" - LOL, no wonder he needs to hire people to do his homework for him.

When he gets into the real world, he is going to be eaten by sharks!