Thread: California Map Overlays discussion

Default California Map Overlays discussion

This is a discussion thread for the following file:

California Map Overlays

Many map overlays, mostly covering California, so far. Includes current and historic USGS Topographic Maps, Geologic Maps, etc. So far over 500 map overlays and adding more all the time. KMZ is network linked so as new maps are added, they will automatically show up in your Google Earth.

WARNING: this file is huge, and may take a while to load.

The editors made a not that this file is Huge and might take a while to load. Each map is only between 1-2 megs so not sure why they added that. Anyway, Just make sure you are only opening individual maps and NOT an entire folder of maps. If you accidentally click and open an entire folder of overlays, just uncheck the box and after a few seconds it will stop trying to download them all.

Google Earth will start to lag if you try to open more than about 10 overlays at a time. This is a limitation of Google Earth.

Also, the folders that have "(NEW)" at the end use a different indexing system than the other. Hopefully, it's self-explanatory, if any problems figuring it out let me know.

Matt

Big update to this today. Added a bunch of 15" maps that cover pretty much the entire San Francisco Bay Area back to late 1900s. 132 new overlays in all. They are under the folder "Historic Topos - 15" (NEW)".

You don't have to redownload the KMZ file to see the new maps. They should show up automatically next time you start Google Earth.

Matt

For those that are interested in this project, I've set up a simple website at

http://www.fox-fam.com/gefiles/website/

That includes more information, instructions, screenshots, etc.

Cheers...Matt

For those of you that live back east and are feeling left out, tonight I started adding some maps from the University of New Hampshire online collection (http://docs.unh.edu/nhtopos/nhtopos.htm).

Starting with Boston (several maps already done and available in GE) and will do other urban areas as I have time.

Matt