Thread: Resource Termination

Hybrid View

Default Resource Termination

I'd like to suggest that it might be an interesting idea to allow resources to be terminated prematurely.

This is only really viable assuming the resource areas remain with similar proportions to what they are now, as the only reason I'd like it is to remove some of my cotton plantations to allow me to replant with a better return, and better placement to allow more plantings. Cotton is currently the only resource area that is pretty easy to max out in terms of room, but still not be able to reach full potential under the purchase every 36 hour system.

The only problem I can see is that some people could abuse the system if implemented incorrectly, to essentially 're-roll' every resource to it's optimum return. HOWEVER, I'm not sure this would even be a concern for 2 reasons: 1) You'd still have to wait 36 hours between resource purchases, and 2) You'd still have to pay 50 geos for each resource purchase.

Thus, if you got a bad roll on diamonds say, you could terminate it immediately if you wanted, but you'd be out 50 geos, and have to wait 36 hours to try again. Since there is _always_ room for another diamond mine, why would you waste the geos by terminating it?

So, I think that this couldn't be abused effectively, and would only be worthwhile to use when your cotton area is physically maxed out. In that particular case, it would be nice to be able to remove your lowest income earner and try a new one, instead of having to pass up on planting at all.

I bring this up because I'm in this situation, maxed out at 18 plantations, and have had to pass up on purchasing more for over a week. My first plantation to expire doesn't do so until Dec. 1st.

Now, I wouldn't even care, except the whole point is that there is supposed to be a point in the long run to buying cotton every 36 hours, because it's supposed to be your biggest income earner from resources in the long run. As it is, it's really REALLY hard, if not impossible, to earn more from cotton than from oil. (Diamonds fluxuate above and below this line so much that it doesn't really matter)

Thoughts?

That's a really good idea. You could dump an under-producer and try your luck at a better one.

Quote Originally Posted by birq
    That's a really good idea. You could dump an under-producer and try your luck at a better one.
    Exactly!

And if I'm not mistaken, that's the only time it would be beneficial to do so.

Yep, I like it. It should be easy to implement to - just add a button.

It always sounds easy to me though.

I was just about to post an identical request, glad I saw this one first.

I do have a couple suggestions for how it may be possible to avoid repurchase exploits.

1) From the "your ____s" resource page, allow the user to only shutdown the resource scheduled for the soonest expiration. You want to shut down the 5th one? No problem, but you have to shutdown the 4 scheduled to expire before it first.

2) Charge the user an early shutdown fee. Most simply it could be 25 geos or so. More idealy, it would be (days-operating/days-lifespan)*50.

Just a thought...

Quote Originally Posted by Mythdraug
    I was just about to post an identical request, glad I saw this one first.

I do have a couple suggestions for how it may be possible to avoid repurchase exploits.

1) From the "your ____s" resource page, allow the user to only shutdown the resource scheduled for the soonest expiration. You want to shut down the 5th one? No problem, but you have to shutdown the 4 scheduled to expire before it first.

2) Charge the user an early shutdown fee. Most simply it could be 25 geos or so. More idealy, it would be (days-operating/days-lifespan)*50.

Just a thought...
    I think I already proved above that further penalties are not required as long as you can still only purchase every 36 hours. Thus it will only be beneficial to terminate any resource when you are physically maxed out for space.

I prefer waywardtravellers way than this because the idea was to be able to free up space for either more efficient planting or replacement of dud fields. If I have a field pumping out cotton for the next 5 days, I'd rather leave that running over one that is stingy for the next 10 days.... I should have the choice.

Quote Originally Posted by blitzkrieg
    I prefer waywardtravellers way than this because the idea was to be able to free up space for either more efficient planting or replacement of dud fields. If I have a field pumping out cotton for the next 5 days, I'd rather leave that running over one that is stingy for the next 10 days.... I should have the choice.
    Heres one for you Blitz...how about reducing the wait time to 12 hours? When a week mine or cotton field is produced instead of wasting the 50 geos on a bad deal and terminating the resorce you would be able to drill or plant in 12 hours. The week resorce will pay for its self in the long run.

Quote Originally Posted by anthonywitt
    Heres one for you Blitz...how about reducing the wait time to 12 hours? When a week mine or cotton field is produced instead of wasting the 50 geos on a bad deal and terminating the resorce you would be able to drill or plant in 12 hours. The week resorce will pay for its self in the long run.
    That unfortunately would do nothing to solve the problem mentioned and would instead shorten the time until people were begging for resource termination.

Under the current resource allocation scheme, it is possible to have no usable space left to plant a new resource (I say plant because it happens most frequently with cotton, although it is also possible to have it happen with oil).

The minimum spacing requirement supports about 18 resources in any one region.

Cotton lasts for 1-2 months. Say an average of 45 days. In those 45 days, you have 30 planting opportunities (if you are very aggressive with your planting). So, while you have 30 opportunities to plant; you can only have 18 or so active at any one time, and 12 opportunities to wish for termination.

If the planting time was reduced to 12 hours, that would give 90 planting opportunites in the same 45 days. You can still only have 18 active resources, but you would have 72 opportunites to wish for termination.

That unfortunately would do nothing to solve the problem mentioned and would instead shorten the time until people were begging for resource termination.

Under the current resource allocation scheme, it is possible to have no usable space left to plant a new resource (I say plant because it happens most frequently with cotton, although it is also possible to have it happen with oil).

Cotton lasts for 1-2 months. Say an average of 45 days. In those 45 days, you have 30 planting opportunities (if you are very aggressive with your planting). So, while you have 30 opportunities to plant; you can only have 18 or so active at any one time, and 12 opportunities to wish for termination.

If the planting time was reduced to 12 hours, that would give 90 planting opportunites in the same 45 days. You can still only have 18 active resources, but you would have 72 opportunites to wish for termination.
    Couldn't have explained it better myself, tx!

I see that I missed the point and a good point. I agree even though with the fourty mines and cotton fields I have I have not had problems planting, digging or drilling for more. The suggestion is good and I see benefits form doing it this way. Good job.