Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: SOS Mickey

Default SOS Mickey

The following is the opinion of Blitzkrieg and is not intended to imply anything about the abilities of Mickey.

I'd like to put a call out for people capable of programming to make a difference to this game. At the moment as I have read it, Mickey is very busy. He is also not willing to give all his code out to anybody else. Both these statements are fine with me.

I don't understand programming so at the end of the day if I'm completely wrong, feel free to delete this thread.

Is it possible for other users similarly excited by the potential of this game and who have programming expertise to code up certain features of the game in such a way that they only need to be cut and pasted with a few minor changes into the main game.....?

When I suggest a feature, I not only suggest some effects of it but also how it would work from a logical point of view (and some maths) for example;

http://www.googleearthhacks.com/foru...ead.php?t=3759
    http://www.googleearthhacks.com/foru...ead.php?t=3485
    http://www.googleearthhacks.com/foru...ead.php?t=3484

What are your thoughts Mickey?

I can give whoever codes it a logic path to follow (after some discussion in the forum) I need someone or somemany people who can help in coding it for a cut/paste addition for Mickey?

We used to get new features in the game most weekends but now we've been waiting and suggesting for over a month and the game is stagnating.

blitzkrieg

disclaimer: just trying to help.

Quote Originally Posted by blitzkrieg
    Is it possible for other users similarly excited by the potential of this game and who have programming expertise to code up certain features of the game in such a way that they only need to be cut and pasted with a few minor changes into the main game.....?
    Alas, this is not possible.

The size of most of these features is cumbersome. It'd take Mickey longer to debug other peoples code than it would take for him to write it.

Sucks that he's busy, but maybe, just maybe, you should find something else to play while he's busy.

-Stan.

ps. I'm gonna go back to quietly lurking now
    Think, then speak.

Still, is there no one he can trust? Games are made by whole teams of programmers. Why should we stick to one? I understand there are issues with releasing the code, but maybe just to one person, who wouldn't be allowed to play afterwards. Not me, of course, since I know nothing about coding/programming.
    New, the Unofficial Site of GEwar. A trashtalk forum for all players. Check it out:
    http://www.gewarriors.com

Now with GAMES, so even if you can't be the best at GEWar, maybe you can set some highscores.

Hi,
    let me quote 'free-style', it's easier that way...

"Is it possible for other users similarly excited by the potential of this game and who have programming expertise to code up certain features of the game in such a way that they only need to be cut and pasted with a few minor changes into the main game.....?"

That is the normal procedure, you set up a cvs-server, let other participate, the project manager runs the code changes in a test environment and after testing and 'acknowledgeing' the new version will be released by the manager.

"It'd take Mickey longer to debug other peoples code than it would take for him to write it."

As it was stated in another thread, the more persons work at the code the better it will get. Debugging would not be Mickey's task, he would have to look for security leaks/bugs, the debugging would have been done before the changes would be commited to the cvs.

"Why should we stick to one? I understand there are issues with releasing the code, but maybe just to one person, who wouldn't be allowed to play afterwards."

Then you would rely on two persons, furthermore the developer ought to quit the game? That's is - to put it mildly - a bad idea.

If the infrastructure is set up right, no one except Mickey and the mods will have access to the Database and the web site.

I would gladly help out, maybe others of our alliance, too.

Regards

Walter

Stan; but I like THIS game..........

Walter, you could do this? And you know of others who could help? Excellent.

This game is in BETA so any bugs created by this new code can be found and fixed, as long as the finders don't exploit the bugs as has happened in the past, but after a week of an exploit we all forget and balance is restored, so I still say ........ What do you think Mickey?

blitzkrieg

I'm sorry guys, but I have to agree on Stanley here though the idea is good.
    It would be awesome if Mickey had more programmers.
    But I think that in the way of copy and paste stile this would take quite some time.
    He could do it if he knows someone in his neighbourhood who can program, who he can trust, who gets the source code so he can adapt the new code to it right away and who knows exactly what mickey means when he tells his idea.

My two biggest problems right now are:

1 - Time. I simply don't have time to put into this (which I think is quite obvious), as I have a handful of other projects that I'm working on.
    2 - Server resources. This game is chewing up the server. The main site is continuing to grow (along with some unrelated sites of mine on the server) and it's getting pushed pretty hard.

I think at this point I'd be pretty much willing to give the game away to someone, provided they could come up with some things:

1 - A place to host it. The game (at this point) requires that you have vBulletin installed, so at the very least it would need that on the server. The ability to schedule cron jobs is also a must.

2 - PHP skills. The code is a mess and I don't have time to go through all 3 million scripts and explain them all. You'd need to be able to figure it out. I could answer some questions, but can't hold your hand.

3 - The approval of the majority of the other players on here - not to approve that I give it away (because that's my call), but to approve WHO I give it away to.

4 - Remember that I started it, so if it gets huge and you become a bazillionaire, show me the money.

Thoughts?

I've only been part of the game for a little over a month but I don't want it to go away....of course I can only offer my babbling ideas....I do good to spell computer...no help anyother way.

As far as the time issue.....Mickey do you see that changing? I know certain times of the year are tougher than others....is that the case or are you just completely swamped with no end in site?

server problem....is this a financial problem? I'm sure "something" can be done about that... see my post on the ending fake accounts thread.

I dunno....You obviously had a GREAT..GREAT....GREAT idea....would hate to see it die

Mickey this is sad news. I wish this was not happening but it is.

How big of a server do you project this game using? What is it using at this time?

Lukas and I spend alot of time in this game and Lukas has even created a site devoted to the game. I have offered in a time long ago to fund a stand alone server for the game but seeing that your time to devote has expired I am at a loss.

All I ask is that the game goes to the member or player that would have the same goals as you. To me I would say you best choices would be Lukas and I, beezer and araT. I cant speak for thier time to devote but they would be good owners and as far as vbscripters I belive that would not be an issue, there would be plenty of offers to help.

Have you thought about keeping the game and bringing members in to work with it. You could keep it in range of your watchful eye.

Now, I know this is probably be the last thing Mickey or the mods want to hear but I think it's more important now than ever.

Even though some of the items that everyone wanted fixed before the reset haven't been done I think a reset is needed...AND SOON..

Many people have been posting that things are getting "stagnant" because we know a reset is coming. If you just say ok..no reset...then new players have no chance to recover...Players that love the game but haven't been too active because they knew a reset was coming won't have a chance to recover....

I say just start us over then work on who's going to take over game if Mickey can't continue....This way more players would be active and offering any and all help that they can.

Again, it's just me babbling but I think I'm right on this one.

Quote Originally Posted by WILDCAT1976
    As far as the time issue.....Mickey do you see that changing?
    Not likely. If anything, things will get worse. My wife is pregnant with our second child, which certainly will require more of my time.

server problem....is this a financial problem? I'm sure "something" can be done about that... see my post on the ending fake accounts thread.
    Somewhat. Most of the other sites on the server are money-makers (although not a whole lot) and I need to keep at least a little income coming in so that I can let Kelly stay at home with the kids. It's not exactly a financial problem, but the game is growing to the point that it's affecting the speed of the other sites, which could develop into a larger problem as things continue to grow.

I have some thoughts in mind for server expansion, but I've not done much serious work in that direction. My ideal situation (1 server for the database, one for GEH, one for GEwar) would require an extra $320 a month, but would really help. However, the fact that the game is bringing in $0 income, that would be a rather silly move for me to make right now.

I dunno....You obviously had a GREAT..GREAT....GREAT idea....would hate to see it die
    I'd hate to see it die as well. I'm not gonna do anything rash, but something obviously needs to happen or it will just fade out.

I would say you best choices would be Lukas and I, beezer and araT. I cant speak for thier time to devote
    I agree that those are good choices. I tend to doubt that Beezer could handle much more time investment in the game (and he doesn't know PHP - at least not yet). araT would be great, but just don't take all of her time, as she is essential to the running of the main GEH site!

As for you and Lukas, my question goes to PHP - what kind of skills do the two of you have?

Quote Originally Posted by Mickey
    Not likely. If anything, things will get worse. My wife is pregnant with our second child, which certainly will require more of my time.
    Congrats Mickey! how far along is Kelly?

T.

Congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I agree that those are good choices. I tend to doubt that Beezer could handle much more time investment in the game (and he doesn't know PHP - at least not yet). araT would be great, but just don't take all of her time, as she is essential to the running of the main GEH site!

As for you and Lukas, my question goes to PHP - what kind of skills do the two of you have?
    Awww I'll do my best to play Queen-of-the-world for both sites, But GEH will always be #1 for me - this place has become home. As far as I see it they should be partner sites, anyway.. GoogleEarthWar.com (or GEWar.com) & GoogleEarthHacks.com one & the same!

As far as I know Anthony & Lukas know PHP pretty well (I mean look at all the customization on the GEWarrior forums ) They should be able to manage it nicely - They will probably have programmers helping too if it gets too big, and of course you'll always have a role in it if you wish

T.
    Last edited by araT; 12-08-2005 at 02:14 AM.

Somewhat. Most of the other sites on the server are money-makers (although not a whole lot) and I need to keep at least a little income coming in so that I can let Kelly stay at home with the kids. It's not exactly a financial problem, but the game is growing to the point that it's affecting the speed of the other sites, which could develop into a larger problem as things continue to grow.

I have some thoughts in mind for server expansion, but I've not done much serious work in that direction. My ideal situation (1 server for the database, one for GEH, one for GEwar) would require an extra $320 a month, but would really help. However, the fact that the game is bringing in $0 income, that would be a rather silly move for me to make right now.

I'd hate to see it die as well. I'm not gonna do anything rash, but something obviously needs to happen or it will just fade out.

MIckey skills are at hand. Lukas and I would look at this as a venture. There would not be only one in the controll but several. As you know this is more than a one man show and if this is going to progress to the level you where wanting to take it then it would become a bussiness. I want to see the game reach your goals and beyond. It will and it will make money.
    The changing of the tourch would be slow as you know. We have never seen the inside of the program and I am sure that needs to happen. All this needs to be done in a fashion as not to shut the game down for a lenghty time. The players are the heart of the game.
    We can...no we will make it work.
    lukas and I will spend much time on this topic to make sure we are the right ones and I fell you will need much convencing.