Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: SOS Mickey

My wife is pregnant with our second child, which certainly will require more of my time.
    WOW!!!!! Well done, my wife is 39 weeks pregnant with our third! Braxton Hicks contractions and false alarms are the norm now .....

Jeez this topic has really not gone the way I had hoped it would....... I cross my fingers that a solution can be found that will keep the game running and moving forward. I have no preference in the way this occurs, but will continue to stick my nose in where it may or may not be wanted .

Quote Originally Posted by araT
    Awww I'll do my best to play Queen-of-the-world for both sites, But GEH will always be #1 for me - this place has become home. As far as I see it they should be partner sites, anyway.. GoogleEarthWar.com (or GEWar.com) & GoogleEarthHacks.com one & the same!

As far as I know Anthony & Lukas know PHP pretty well (I mean look at all the customization on the GEWarrior forums ) They should be able to manage it nicely - They will probably have programmers helping too if it gets too big, and of course you'll always have a role in it if you wish

T.
    Okay Mickey, Lukas and I can meet the needs. PHP is not an issue nor is money. All programming aspects are at hand. Personnel has come together. A contract for you to have royalities when it comes out of beta is just a phone call away. What else would you like to see from us?

By the way...congrats are in order.

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia (27░22'34.69"S, 152░59'18.54"E)

Quote Originally Posted by araT
    As far as I know Anthony & Lukas know PHP pretty well (I mean look at all the customization on the GEWarrior forums) They should be able to manage it nicely - They will probably have programmers helping too if it gets too big, and of course you'll always have a role in it if you wish
    Well Lukas is a website designer so I'm hoping he has PHP experience (I know he does, just look at GEWarriors.com as Tara was saying).

Anthony on the other hand, is a champion (not that Lukas isn't ). He is 7 months away from his MBA and has all it takes to run a business. And I can't forget to tell you about his HUGE bank account . He can program in many languages (atleast that is what he says )

Ok, that will do.
    New, the Unofficial Site of GEwar. A trashtalk forum for all players. Check it out:

More interesting then a Drive-by Shooting

Quote Originally Posted by Brendo
    Well Lukas is a website designer so I'm hoping he has PHP experience (I know he does, just look at GEWarriors.com as Tara was saying).

Anthony on the other hand, is a champion (not that Lukas isn't ). He is 7 months away from his MBA and has all it takes to run a business. And I can't forget to tell you about his HUGE bank account . He can program in many languages (atleast that is what he says )

Ok, that will do.
    There are programmers at hand. It is not an issue. As far as money my job pays more than the average bear. The game will be taken care of and all the players will as well. After all you players are what it is all about.

I am a website designer in PHP, HTML and MySql yes so I would hope indeed that I know how to program lol.
    I was reading this thread with 2 collegeaus of mine and they would love to partition in this as well. To go through all of Mickey's code and design new features for this already great game.
    As far as i've read on this forum, mine and in PM's we have a pretty solid team and it seems lots of people want to help form an administration for this, but the choice is ofcourse Mickey's and we'll all respect that.
    And with Tara as one of the main leaders in the project with access to the administration and database, the users shouldn't notice a huge change except that we might have a bit more time then Mickey has to work on new features.
    I'm still at work now, but I'll check again.

There you go Mickey. We will take care of your game and keep it going in the direction you wanted to take it. I hope you dont mind if we make it better. All the hard work you have put in this game will always be part of it. You created it and anything we or anyone else do to improve will not change the fact that it is your creation. In fact your name would be in the credits as creator. It will be no other way. Lukas could even change his name to Mickey.

i think we should create a developer group or some sort of task force that takes care of this.

btw: i would love to help develop this game. i'm programming since six years and am now employeed as a php developer and webmaster in a big medical company. i'm also member of the typo3 community (best php code i've ever seen). since approx four years, i'm working with it and develop extensions.

For the financial/server problem - is there no chance to get sponsored by anyone? Small banners wouldn't destroy the design i think - and perhaps google is directly interested to support this excellent game? (It was a really good feeling to own Berlin for 4.5 hours last night )

Quote Originally Posted by anthonywitt
    What else would you like to see from us?
    I guess the next move is for you to get a server running with vBulletin installed and then we'll begin to install war. My thought is that it be installed in a similar manner as it is now in terms of directory structure, like:

www.whateverurl.com/forums
    www.whateverurl.com/war
    and have www.whateverurl.com be a main info page about the game.

Make sure you install vB 3.0.8 and NOT the new 3.5, as that will have some extra complications that need to be worked out.

Sounds like we've pretty much got a plan in place. Get that going and we'll head out from there.

I'll get working on that server.
    For that I don't want the provider I'm currently at because they would be too slow for all the users.
    And for a little more money you have unlimited bandwidth and that could come in handy.
    A server is usually arranged within 24 hours...though sometimes the weekend delays it.

Lukas it must be unlimited. PM me and we will get the server.

Quote Originally Posted by Mickey
    I guess the next move is for you to get a server running with vBulletin installed and then we'll begin to install war. My thought is that it be installed in a similar manner as it is now in terms of directory structure, like:

www.whateverurl.com/forums
    www.whateverurl.com/war
    and have www.whateverurl.com be a main info page about the game.

Make sure you install vB 3.0.8 and NOT the new 3.5, as that will have some extra complications that need to be worked out.

Sounds like we've pretty much got a plan in place. Get that going and we'll head out from there.
    We will get right on it Mickey.

Beyond that, there are only two other issues I can think of:

1 - Everyone will need to register again on the new site. I don't think this is a big problem, as it's much like a reset.

2 - The jewel hunting stuff comes out of the main GEH database. The whole logic behind jewel hunting needs some work anyhow, but that will cause an immediate problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Mickey
    Beyond that, there are only two other issues I can think of:

1 - Everyone will need to register again on the new site. I don't think this is a big problem, as it's much like a reset.

2 - The jewel hunting stuff comes out of the main GEH database. The whole logic behind jewel hunting needs some work anyhow, but that will cause an immediate problem.
    New registering shouldn't be any problem.
    The jewel hunting stuff would cause a problem yes, but not one couldn't be fixed fast enough.
    I was thinking that as everyone has made placemarks of these jewels, to just add a whole bunch of new ones instead.

I have some thoughts on this. We need to get on our chat....I feel brainstorming coming on.
    I think we can handle this issue in good time.
    I have been looking at this most of the day and we need to put all our heads together.