Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how many overlays do you

Default how many overlays do you

guys download? do you go for all of em? or just the ones that matter to you specifically? obviously overlays have a temporary lifespan, so how much do you bother with them?

I tend to download a good majority of everything that gets submitted as I'm one of the approvers - so I see most of them, But when browsing casually I tend to download things that interest me

T.

Angry

maybe you can help with this (please)
    when i load up google earth im getting about 12 windowed messages saying "image could not be found", meaning all my downloaded overlays have been lost inbetween exiting and re-entering GE. i have saved them before exiting, but i now get a big white patch on the globe "image not found"

yours fumingly, cheers

where did you save them?

(stupid question, i know, but it could be a reason...)

they were in my places before i exit. it says "do you want to move the temporary files to my places" . then i answer yes.
    now it looks like i cant hold more than 6 overlays!
    older ones just dissapear!

, i was saving them to my places, but only opening files, not saving them upon download. now got 9 and counting.....
    funny thing is, ive never saved my 3d models to computer, just opened them, and theyre always there!!!
    still wont open them when reload GE
    Last edited by tizerist; 12-26-2005 at 07:19 PM.

if you have a file in your temporary places list, just try to drag and drop it in the my places list and it should be saved in a file on your computer.
    but if you have own overlays in your my places list and delete the picture from your pc or change the path, you saved it with, it cannot be loaded, because no path is found...

no, while im downloading them, im saving them to a folder first, then opening with GE,then ge takes me straight to the overlay image,which i put to my places. its fine till i try and load it the next time, where i get multiple windows "colud not load this image, could not load that image".
    a couple do survive, but thats all.
    ive still got them in my documents folder though, but if i try re-open- "image not found"

Ok, the problem is because the images are saved locally in the .kmz file that is being downloaded to your temp folder and being deleted, in order to keep them make a folder on your hard disk somewhere, download the overlays and save them into that folder and double-click them and open them from that folder, then they will continue working when you re-open GE

T.

Quote Originally Posted by araT
    Ok, the problem is because the images are saved locally in the .kmz file that is being downloaded to your temp folder and being deleted, in order to keep them make a folder on your hard disk somewhere, download the overlays and save them into that folder and double-click them and open them from that folder, then they will continue working when you re-open GE

T.

but he still has them on his harddisk, in a folder, he wrote, so that can obviously not be the problem

Is he launching them from the hard disk, or is he just keeping the file he downloaded in his "My Places" list and saving another copy to his HD..

All I can suggest to remedy this is to open the folder and double-click the files, if they dont work, upload them here and I will personally take a look at them to see if I can get it working.

T.

okay its mostly sorted now. ive found , if you save them to a folder first, then open with GE, then go to file, then "save" in GE, the original file in the folder will go from ie.296 kb for example, to only 1 kb, rendering it unusable. why????????
    think ive got it anyway, nice one

Quote Originally Posted by tizerist
    okay its mostly sorted now. ive found , if you save them to a folder first, then open with GE, then go to file, then "save" in GE, the original file in the folder will go from ie.296 kb for example, to only 1 kb, rendering it unusable. why????????
    think ive got it anyway, nice one

huh? how do you "save" them in GE? what do you do to "save"?

its like, when you save them to hard drive, then open, youll see the new file highlighted in grey on the left when GE shows you the new area. while its grey, go top left file, and save (not save as). now the file on your hard drive (which could have been 1000 kb) will be 1kb, and you've effectively lost the file.
    try it, tell us what happens

Quote Originally Posted by tizerist
    its like, when you save them to hard drive, then open, youll see the new file highlighted in grey on the left when GE shows you the new area. while its grey, go top left file, and save (not save as). now the file on your hard drive (which could have been 1000 kb) will be 1kb, and you've effectively lost the file.
    try it, tell us what happens
    ok,
    i downloaded a file,i took the golden gate bridge, and saved it to my hard drive. it had 609kb. i opened with google earth, saw it highlighted in grey on the left.
    while it was grey, i went to the top left and pressed file, and save (not save as).
    now the file on my hard drive should have been 1kb, like you said, but however, it is 906kb and ready to use.
    that's what happens for me...

strange, huh?