Thread: Boat from Waterworld discussion

Default Boat from Waterworld discussion

This is a discussion thread for the following file:

Boat from Waterworld

No kidding - this IS the boat from the movie "Waterworld."

I saw it from the highway and snuck into the marina to go tap on the hull.

Just sitting there rusting...

Quote Originally Posted by GEHFileBot
    This is a discussion thread for the following file:

Boat from Waterworld

No kidding - this IS the boat from the movie "Waterworld."

I saw it from the highway and snuck into the marina to go tap on the hull.

Just sitting there rusting...

I saw the boat from waterworld in Universal studios in Orlando in 2004, wonder if its the same craft or was there more than one?????

Default More than you really need to know: :-)

Scroll down for eye-level pic of boat:
    http://www.latitude38.com/LectronicL...t18/Oct18.html

Here is a long discourse on this project by the manufacturer:
    http://www.cata-lagoon.com/ch_waterworld_uk.php

Formum comment including costs:
    from: http://boatdesign.net/forums/printth...p?t=3598&pp=40
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    s v ugly sister 06-05-2004 12:59 AM
    WATERWORLD TRIMARAN - recent interest

Two boats were built for the movie by Jeanneau - Lagoon in france - one was the sailing version - and the second was used as the "transformer" version - these were off-the-shelf ORMA 60' trimaran racing machines with a 45' beam - the sailing version cost $910,000. f.o.b France & the transformer version cost $810,000. f.o.b. france - the hulls - connectives etc were flown to Hawaii & assembled by a French crew of technicians - & handed over to Universal for the Ugly-fication process & installation of the working & non-working props - (eg. the telescoping boom actually worked on the transformer version - while the sailing version boom is covered with sheet metal to make it look like it is a fully extended telescoping boom) - the sailing version was operated below decks in two compartments - various sheets - halyards - topping lifts etc were operated by either 2 Lewmar handcrank #66 selftailers behind line clutches - or - 2 Harken horizontal alloy electric #74.2 monsters - standing rigging was 25mm & 30mm 1x19 316ss wire with monster turnbuckles - steering was below decks forward of the mast & hydraulic - the steering pedestal that Costner operated in the cockpit area had a hydraulic pump that was plumbed into the below deck hydraulic steering lines - I think that the neatest prop was the slicer bob-stay - the hulls were constructed of divynl closed cell core with facings of glass & carbon fiber with epoxy resin vacuum bagged - lots of epoxy/micro balloon type fairing was used on all hulls - the connectives are constructed of carbon fiber / epoxy - an upper & lower "Plate" box beam structure with thin sides - the curvature to the connectives is foam/glass/epoxy sandwitch streamlining - dagger board is aft of the forward connective - for the movie the case was stubbed off & didn't go thru deck as it would have gotten in the way of below decks line handling - the aluminum stick with rotating base measures 75 feet & was garbaged-up with heavy props & a masthead over the real masthead - the massive spreaders don't do anything for me & will be removed - the whole mast system was a weight-aloft nightmare - the diesel was a volvo 4 cyl 48 hp freshwater cooled with maxi sail drive - the boat was sailed for about 5 1/2 months for the movie & the diesel hour meter shows 720 hours - - Universal shipped the sailing version to Orlando & placed it in the WATERWORLD show for about 6 years - - the boat has been pretty well beat up & was not maintained - - I bought the boat with some of the props fron King Kona Productions (Universal) in March of 2004 - will be repairing the boat & rig & using it for cruising once its done - My son & I will be getting the boat back together - we both have experience building & cruising trimarans - - - named it UGLY SISTER as it is the uglyest sister ship of this design - - - Dale Miami
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The oil tanker in the same movie can also be seen...at Mojave airport.

Coords:
    35░ 3'52.29"N 118░ 8'57.76"W
    Link
    ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾Ľ̃̾)۶

٩(̾●̮̮̃̾Ľ̃̾)۶