Thread: Transport aircraft Prestwick Airport discussion

Default Transport aircraft Prestwick Airport discussion

This is a discussion thread for the following file:

Transport aircraft Prestwick Airport

These look like heavy cargo aircraft waiting to go from Prestwick Airport, Scotland. There is another one to the North. Don't know what type of planes though!

Default Preswick Airport

If you look more closely at these planes thay are USAF planes. Does anyone think this could be due to the G8 summit at gleneagles or maybe these "ghost" flights that has been in the news. USAF landing prisioners at airports secretly.

Default Terror Flight maybe???

These photos I thinkare actually from before the G8 summit assuming that it was the same set of photos used to render all of South Ayshire. I can judge this from my parents house who live in Ayr. They had chopped some trees down about 2 to three years ago which are still there on google. Look at this link :- http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/01...rth_prestwick/
    The bus you can see on the runway is a stagecoach bus. They are a pretty big bus company in Britain.

Weird

Default Hopefully, a definitive answer

As posted on a couple of other threads, these are C-5 Galaxy aircraft which - amongst other missions - are used by the Phoenix Banner, Phoenix Silver and Phoenix Copper Special Assignment Airlift Mission (SAAM) that supports the President, Vice-President and US Secret Service (when not supporting the President or VP).

If they are SAAM aircraft, the usage of a C-5 implies that - apart from the limos, re-inforced GMC Surburban vehicles (used by the Secret Service) and all the other stuff - that the mission also has Marine One (HMX-1) helicopters on board.

SAAM missions normally arrive considerably earlier than an actual Presidential flight and, obviously, also leave earlier as well. There is also a strong possibility that they would stop at Prestwick to re-fuel en route to other locations in Europe.

Other possibilities are that - depending on when these photos were taken - they could be aircraft being being used to ferry detainees from Bhagram airfield in Afghanistan and other places to Guantanamo or - equally depressing - that they are ferrying bodies to Dover AFB in Delaware (Dover exclusively operates C-5s) which, like RAF Brize Norton in the UK, is used to receive and process fatal military casualties.

BTW, they definitely are C-5's: I've checked the length and wingspan of the aircraft and - allowing for the perspective problems - it's the only airframe that fits the dimensions.

Default Transport aircraft

Yep C5's alright you can tell by the set back of the windscreen from the moveable radome nose, and the swoop of the wingtips, and of course flying stabilizer
    I was C5 production flightline mech and love this aircraft.
    Last edited by billbp@tribcsp.com; 10-17-2006 at 08:39 PM.

For what it's worth, here is a site with a couple of videos of C-5 Galaxies at Prestwick. Both are from the 2005 summit. I won't offer an opinion on the discussion of what is going on though.

http://www.flightlevel350.com/Aircra...ideo-3770.html

http://www.flightlevel350.com/Aircra...ideo-3772.html