Thread: Two Plane Debate

Default Two Plane Debate

I notice on previous threads quite a few topics on aeroplanes appearing twice on runways. Here is Prestwick airport in Scotland with two images of a USAF plane, but if you look closely there is a bus parked next to one of the planes and something else (which I can't quite tell what it is) parked next to the other.

Just thought I would add to the debate.

If you look towards the south of the runway you can see the fire engines parked on the runway also, so could this be an inactive runway with two identical american air force planes on a runway in Scotland?
    Attached Files Attached Files

Anyway, I think the two planes on the northbound runway have to be different. The one having a bus parked near it and hatch open, way too much time would have had to pass between the two shots despite them being so close together. Plus, and it could just be shadows changing, but the wear patterns and darkened streaks over the engines don't match up.

I would agree to them being two different planes.

I originally thought that they were parked on the 'active' runway 03/21 because of a high wind across that runway, making it unusable. However, inspection of the two windsocks:

1 - just east of RW 03 threshold (diagonal track from threshold leads ot orange windsock) shows a westerly breeze,

but -

2 - other windsock north of other runway, near eastern end (look for blue car on road to the north - the windsock shadow is most obvious clue to finding it) shows a much more southerly breeze.

More likely is that the RW03/21, as the last remaining part of the old wartime airfield and is only (what was the standard) 1829m. long - a tad short for most modern transatlantic types, and is therefore occasionally used as a parking area.

Not that the offiical parking apron is sullied with any airliners at all! Typical Prestwick feast or famine scenario. Note the amphibious Beaver floatplane on the General Aviation parking area.

Maybe they are parked there for security reasons - they have their front and rear edge lift devices deployed, which is a little unusual for civil aircraft ,but seen more often on military types when parked. It provides more opportunities for the local bird population to build nests and hence allow the crews a longer stayover in Johnny Walker country!

Talking Parked aircraft

Both aircraft (they are 2 different planes), parked on the runway are C-5 Galaxy Transport aricraft from the USAF, as it the aircraft parked on the hard standing to the north. You might find the aircraft are there to allow the crews to play golf on the local courses, Ayr etc, or maybe there is someone big visiting, George Dubya Bush has all his armoured cars etc transported by C-5 prior to visiting places. Has anyone found 'Airforce 1' yet.

To the South of the Galaxys the fire crew are out on the runway, (poss having a quick cigarette!) whist up north you can find the Air Sea rescue helecopters and a very nice Ar*e about face plane.

This C-5's are from the G-7 meeting at Gleneagles. They bring all the stuff from the U.S. president.
    You search it, I will find it!

Default Is there an echo in here ?

As i said above: 'or maybe there is someone big visiting, George Dubya Bush has all his armoured cars etc transported by C-5 prior to visiting places. Has anyone found 'Airforce 1' yet.

Quote Originally Posted by ian9990
    As i said above: 'or maybe there is someone big visiting, George Dubya Bush has all his armoured cars etc transported by C-5 prior to visiting places. Has anyone found 'Airforce 1' yet.
    Here is Air Force One in flight. Remember that there is more than one Air Force 747 that carries VIP. This is an Air Force - 1 plane, doesnt mean the president is on it, but who knows....

Quote Originally Posted by Zothip
    Here is Air Force One in flight. Remember that there is more than one Air Force 747 that carries VIP. This is an Air Force - 1 plane, doesnt mean the president is on it, but who knows....
    Sorry, but this no B747. This can be B707 from the Air Force, like a KC-135 or any other B707.

Your right it isn't AF1, it's neither a 747 nor does it appear to have any of the blue livery that AF1 has. With regards the 2 C5's on the runway, did anyone notice the two fire trucks and the maintenance van further down the runway? By the way, I'm not sure if this has been marked already, but, there is an Air France plane landing at Heathrow that appears 4 times!
    Last edited by robtek00; 05-04-2006 at 11:31 PM.

this airportis only 30 miles from me i could go down and ask them...........lol

scottie

Quote Originally Posted by McMaster_de
    Sorry, but this no B747. This can be B707 from the Air Force, like a KC-135 or any other B707.

This aircraft looks like the RC135 Cobra Ball. The starboard wing is painted black, with a white body and portside wing. Rare bird indeed

So what we can say is that the Northernmost plane is the same model as the other, but different id number, it still has the tongue attached to the front landing gear, and it has a small single axled truck parked next to it.
    The Southernmost plane has what appears to be a empty baggage cart next to it, and that's it.
    You say they are C-5's, is that the same as a DC-5, because they should either be DC-9's or C-130's because they look like tankers to me. I know I'm not anywhere near a plane expert, but that's the only large planes that color here. After reviewing that link above, I guess I was wrong, so now I ask one final question, why would they use planes out of Travis Air Force Base?
    Remember what movie these are from? I bet you don't!
    "You do well in school?"---"Yeah"---"Good, so did I, that's what they call a paradox"

"How's your mother?"---"Oh... I'm afraid she's on her way out."---"We all are. Act accordingly."

They are 3 seperate planes. Search the web for G-8 Summit - Galaxy "C-5"

There are even pictures of them. They are from the advance party for the G-8 Summit.
    Latine loqui coactus sum! Latro! fremo!
    Sed quis custodiet ipsos custodes? Si sapis, sis Senatus!

Si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes

If you could save yourself, would you save us all?