Thread: How do you display cities without searching for them first?

Default How do you display cities without searching for them first?

A big hello from Brisbane Australia! :grin:
    Great site. Sorry back to my question.
    Is it possible to show all surrounding place names after a search? If I search for Brisbane, Toowoomba does not show up unless I search for it.
    Thanks

Sort of -- if you select the Populated Places layer, cities around a selected spot will appear in red beside a large dot. However, there is a scale issue involved -- cities with larger populations will show up at higher eye altitudes than cities with smaller populations.

Thus, in your example, Toowoomba disappears from the Populated Places overlay at about the 51 mile altitude, and at that altitude, there's no way to get both Brisbane and Toowoomba to fit on my screen (1280x1024). (Brisbane, on the other hand, remains marked up to an eye alt of about 400 miles).

In more densely populated regions, multiple cities show up like acne on a french-fry loving teenager when you turn on the Populated Places layer. But when the cities are further apart, that layer doesn't solve the problem.

Someone else may know a better solution, this is just my $.02 on the subject.

-Aq

Thank you so much for replying! That was more than $0.02 worth that was a gold answer although not totally solving my problem. I never knew about poplutlated layers, so you've added another layer : ) of enjoyment. cheers!