Thread: Using Google offline

Exclamation Using Google offline

Hi all,

I have problem i searched the ineternet but couldn't found much. I have installed Google earth at home on mac which does nto have internet connection. I have transferred the cache from my office PC to home PC.

But now when i start google earth the it says could not activate network problem and nothing comes.

Wether is it mandatory to activate it for the first time on the internet. if not then how could i use it.

Thanks

Sandeep

I am no expert, but from what I understand, Google Earth has to be viewed ON LINE.

Correct me Admin if I am wrong

It should still run without a connection, I just tried it and it works. You can only see data which is stored in cache though, anything else is in fuzzyvision. It sounds like it's not seeing any cached data, are you sure it's stored in the right place?
    I can only make one person happy per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow isn't looking good either.

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey boy
    Correct me Admin if I am wrong

Nope you're correct it Has to be Online.
    Check out the Only Google Earth Wiki on the internet.

Google Earth Wiki

Have a look at my EarthSwoop Collections

Default Cached files?

I too have an interest in being able to use Google Earth "offline" especially if it's use is limited to a very small geographic area. Can someone tell me how this comment:

http://www.gearthblog.com/blog/archi...ne_google.html

...factors into the mix? Is there truth to the possibility of "loading up" one's cache with Google graphics then unplugging from the internet? They mention 2GB of cache to set aside....

TYIA!

Like I said before, it will work when disconnected, but you can only see detail in places you've visited before and which are in your cache. I wasn't joking when I said I'd tried it. I just did it again to prove it to myself, just disable your internet connection and run GE. It displays a message saying it can't connect to the server (obviously) and then "The application will continue to operate but will only display data available locally (in cache)." And sure enough I can zoom in on my house and see it in hi-res as usual, but anywhere I haven't previously viewed will be fuzzy.

So if you've never connected before but you can load up a data cache from another machine then it might work, and I'm sure someone out there has tried it and will let us know.
    I can only make one person happy per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow isn't looking good either.

Hum,
    indeed...
    i`m now storing my previous sessions on CDs....(for portability, not everyone has DVD)

(I just need to rename the current google cache, and upload the backed up version)

i wouldn't need to do this if google had added an editable file path to the cache in the options...

But hey, itĺs a weird thing to do...

Default Using GE offline

Having the same problem myself. I have a second PC which i dont want to connect on the net for some reasons. I tried to copy the files from the installation folder on my first PC to the second PC, it still wont work. I think GE changes some file when you connect for the first file, but cant figure out which one. I tried deleting the file "kh20", after which it gives a log in screen asking for user name and password.

Any bright guys out there, pl help

this is indeed a interesting question. and this does not only apply for people who doesn't have internet.. if your going to travel, and you want GE in your laptop or so, somewhere where you dont have internet connection, it could be useful..

the solution isnt as pleasant as I would like, but it's all we have: the solution is to explore - when you still have internet connection - on GE the areas that interest you. Then pick the cache file, and take it with you. i've found this blog - http://offlinegoogleearth.blogspot.com/ - that explains how to do it.