Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Strange mini UK found in Liverpool discussion

Default Strange mini UK found in Liverpool discussion

This is a discussion thread for the following file:

Strange mini UK found in Liverpool

It seems as though there is another UK land mass within the UK

Is it a man-made island or something. I tried looking online for information, but I couldn't find anything.

Actually it used to be a whether map that a person would stand on

Seriously it was a whether map in the Late 1980's.

Yeah, it must be that island that the bloke from 'This Morning' would stand on when showing the weather in a 'fun and unorthodox' way!

Good find though

That's pretty cool. Thanks!

Yeah.. thats freds weather map!

He used to run around it doing the weather, and jump across to ireland! and yes, he fell in once too..!

Used on 'This Morning' before the program moved to london... the map has gone from the dock now.

Super Moderator

Default UK map in harbour

Quote Originally Posted by Acman3192
    That's pretty cool. Thanks!
    What's interesting is that it wasn't there last September, nor this jetty near it!

We were there to see my daughter-in-law off crewing on the Clipper Ship Liverpool08 on the Round the World Clipper Yacht race -- see this link (click on Gallery if you want to see what it looke like just before the start) and the basin -- Albert Dock -- was empty except for the 10 Clippers moored along where you can see a sailing boat and the map etc

So I wonder what the date of the Google Earth Image is?

The attached kmz indicates where the Granada TV studios used to be
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by GEH4EVR
    Actually it used to be a whether map that a person would stand on

Seriously it was a whether map in the Late 1980's.

Yup, I though that as soon as I seen it, I remember when it was on TV, some woman would do the weather forecast standing on it.

As for the late 80's, i seen it being used durning the late 90's.

Quote Originally Posted by huwyngr
    What's interesting is that it wasn't there last September, nor this jetty near it!

We were there to see my daughter-in-law off crewing on the Clipper Ship Liverpool08 on the Round the World Clipper Yacht race -- see this link (click on Gallery if you want to see what it looke like just before the start) and the basin -- Albert Dock -- was empty except for the 10 Clippers moored along where you can see a sailing boat and the map etc

So I wonder what the date of the Google Earth Image is?

The attached kmz indicates where the Granada TV studios used to be
    freds weather map was taken out the water after 'this morning' left liverpool. its not been there for about 18 months possibly more. id say the picture was taken late 2003 or early 2004 theres several things in liverpool which changed some time ago and GE doesnt show them yet

Quote Originally Posted by funked up
    freds weather map was taken out the water after 'this morning' left liverpool. its not been there for about 18 months possibly more. id say the picture was taken late 2003 or early 2004 theres several things in liverpool which changed some time ago and GE doesnt show them yet
    The Roads Overlay is way off too -- roads running through the middle of water

The December 2 update information would indicate that the images should be 2000:
    Lancashire-2000, ....Merseyside-2000,

Default Excellent!

I can't believe found Fred's map! I know a guy who was once on Fred's map when he was a kid, dressed up as the sun or something ridiculous for Crazy Uncle Fred.
    Nice KMZ, by the way.

Unhappy

[QUOTE=huwyngr]The Roads Overlay is way off too -- roads running through the middle of water ...[QUOTE]

The picture is in a large area about 26 miles wide by 27 miles tall where all of the new higher resolution pictures are about 310 feet ENE of where they should be.

The Roads Overlay is way off too -- roads running through the middle of water ....

The picture is in a large area about 26 miles wide by 27 miles tall where all of the new higher resolution pictures are about 310 feet ENE of where they should be.
    Do you mean the high resolution images are in the wrong place or that the road overlays are?

Talking

Living in Liverpool, I'm so glad that GE still has this.

I noticed a few months ago that it was taken out of the Albert Dock, and was gutted!

And yes, my hometown is about 15 miles from Liverpool City Centre, nd it has recently become high-res, and the roads are off by about 300ft.