Thread: Smallest Pub In Britain discussion

Default Smallest Pub In Britain discussion

This is a discussion thread for the following file:

Smallest Pub In Britain

The Lakeside Inn, Southport. The smallest pub in Britain.

The Lakeside Inn might claim to be the smallest pub but it has a capacity of 30 people. Compare this to the Nutshell in Bury St Edmunds with a capacity of 12.
    I can only make one person happy per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow isn't looking good either.

30 people in the Lakeside would be a struggle I think. I don't think the smallest pub is judged on how many people you can fit in. I think it is based on size ie, metres squared.

This is the sort of thing that rumbles on for years without ever being settled. I suspect both pubs have a claim, it depends what you're measuring. I was going by this:

If you claim to be the biggest, oldest or smallest of anything, you can be sure not to be alone. In my time I've visited three pubs which claimed to be the smallest in Britain. The Smith's Arms, Godmonstone, Dorset probably was the smallest but closed in 1999. The Lakeside in Southport is certainly titchy but relatively spacious compared to The Nutshell, now officially recognised in the Guinness Book of Records as our tiniest hostelry.

http://www.cambridge-camra.org.uk/al...ique-pubs.html
    I can only make one person happy per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow isn't looking good either.