Thread: A Geography teachers' dream

Default A Geography teachers' dream

Hi there.
    Just browsing for detail for a User Guide I'm producing for UK Geography teachers.
    GoogleEarth is the greatest app I've yet seen for teaching Geography. The Placemarks feature means each lesson can start by flying the students from their school to the place the lesson is focusing on. Is there a way of exporting lists of Placemarks ?
    I'm aware of some issues of accuracy with local details like streetplans, and some places are apparently labelled wrongly.
    I shall keep checking for updates here.
    Any Geographers out there please get in touch via my website:
    http://www.geographypages.co.uk
    I shall add the User Guide to the site within the week.
    Well done for your speedy response in setting up this site.
    GeoBlogs

That would be a GREAT use of Google Earth. What a way to make the lesson more exciting!

Is there a way of exporting lists of Placemarks ?
    Yes, there is. To export a single placemark, right-click on it and choose "Save As" and then give it a name. It will save with a ".kmz" extention.

To export a list of placemarks, create a "folder" in your [Places] area (where all of the placemarks live), then drag some of your placemarks into that folder. Then you can simply right-click on the folder and choose "Save As" and it will save the entire folder, which includes all of the placemarks in it, to a .kmz file.

Good luck with your idea - it sounds neat!

Mickey

Thanks Mickey!
    This has great potential for collaborative work with teachers posting folders of places - perhaps themed on certain curriculum areas. I shall certainly be developing this further!
    GeoBlogs

Quote Originally Posted by GeoBlogs
    Thanks Mickey!
    This has great potential for collaborative work with teachers posting folders of places - perhaps themed on certain curriculum areas. I shall certainly be developing this further!
    GeoBlogs
    That's a great idea! If you would like for me to create some categories (either here on the forums or in the file download area) to help better support this, please let me know.

Thanks,
    Mickey

My wife teaches history and finally got a projector for her classroom. She is intending on using Google Earth live in her classroom. I will upload the points and information that she creates for this. I would also be interested in a forum or download area particularly for the use of Google Earth in classroom settings.

Quote Originally Posted by cmpalmer
    My wife teaches history and finally got a projector for her classroom. She is intending on using Google Earth live in her classroom. I will upload the points and information that she creates for this. I would also be interested in a forum or download area particularly for the use of Google Earth in classroom settings.
    Sounds like a plan to me. When the school year starts approaching, let me know and we'll create the forum. I hate to create it now and have it sit dormant for a few months, but I'll be happy to create it when the time comes that it would be used reguarly.

Thanks,
    Mickey

This is a good thread to see. I am a school governor, and I already plan to show Google Earth at the next meeting. The school has "interactive white boards", which allows the teacher to plug a laptop into the whiteboard, and the children can "draw" on the board. So they will be able to interact with Google Earth in the classroom!

Geoblogs, if you need any help I'd be happy to get involved. I'm an IT/Web person myself, so anything I can do to assist...just ask! I'm a governor at a primary school.

Default NASA world wind

I am currenly setting up for next year google earth for the local school, I have prevoiusly used the NASA world wind app for the same job. I think between the two the coverage will be perfect for most geography classes. The NASA program and climate data etc available as well and other types of image along with maps.

It is good to see this kind of discussion going on.

One of the things that google earth reminded me of is the Doomsday Project, which was basically a project to create a kind of database of the UK. (See here http://www.tasi.ac.uk/advice/delivering/digpres.html if you are not familiar with the Doomsday project).

What I have been thinking would be good is a more modern version of the Doomsday project. Schools from all over the world could get the childred to contribute to the data base.
    My thought was that each school involved can host their own web pages with information about their local area, the pages get submitted to an index database which can then serve the links as people browse GE.

Just my thought.
    CC

Forum created, and this thread has now been moved into it.

like idea of the project...

not sure of technical side of stuff...

At moment collating loads of different overlays and network links for use with in uk schools (ks3 / ks4).

Going to have msi install that will install as the default my places file and then also have them in kml file that can be dowloaded got some good resources from here already and used them as templates to create my own extras.

Also as want to say where I got resources from is there anyway of adding an image to free version that is not connected to earth so can have logo in cornor or something.

Russ
    Last edited by russdev; 09-13-2005 at 11:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by GeoBlogs
    Any Geographers out there please get in touch via my website:
    http://www.geographypages.co.uk
    Nice site. I appreciate the links. Life's gonna get real busy pretty soon for any teachers who embrace GE as a platform for learning.