Thread: A 'kmz file' on a commercial website? Is it legal?

Question A 'kmz file' on a commercial website? Is it legal?

A quick question: Is a 'kmz file' on a commercial website legal? It will just show the location of the company and should allow visitors -provided they have Google Earth on their PC- to 'fly' there. Or do I have to ask Google for permission?

I could not find anything on the Google Earth legal section which discusses the use of the image data only. I also did not get a response from Google Earth support.

Any ideas?

Thanks
    Mark

I wouldn't have thought it would be a problem, if anything it will encourage more people to use GE. Besides, it's not really much different to posting one on a forum like this is it?
    I can only make one person happy per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow isn't looking good either.

Hi Mark,

i'm planning the same, and i guess since GE in Freeware and the Map Sources are publicly available, it should be no problem.
    Lets see other opinions.

Nope as long as you don't sell them, At least that what Google Earth said.
    Last edited by GEH4EVR; 03-31-2006 at 06:55 PM.
    Check out the Only Google Earth Wiki on the internet.

Google Earth Wiki

Have a look at my EarthSwoop Collections

I'm not an attorney, but I would think that using an application to create a file, then offering that file for download, is completely legal. If I use Microsoft Word to create a .doc file, there is no problem in hosting that file for others to download. If I use Photoshop to create a .psd file, I can host that file on my website and anybody can download it. Same if I create an action in Photoshop, I can host the .atn file for anyone to download.

And there are currently tons of kmz files on websites all over the world - do a Google search for kmz file , then click past the first ten pages, you will see lots of sites that have kmz files available for download.