Thread: Cambridge Folk Festival discussion

Default Cambridge Folk Festival discussion

This is a discussion thread for the following file:

Cambridge Folk Festival

Folk festival in progress. Includes locations of the campsite and car park.

No idea what possessed me to say it was held in the last weekend of the year, it would be a bit on the cold side. I meant to say the last weekend of July but I don't know how to edit a file description after it's been uploaded. Can anyone advise me? Or perhaps a mod could change it for me?
    I can only make one person happy per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow isn't looking good either.

Interesting. I passed this link on to the Richard Thompson mail list - there was probably one or two subscribers in the crowd.

This is the Folk Festival I try to get to every summer in Canada - low res rural area and no crowd, though if you have roads on, it shows the daisy shaped campground layout.
    Attached Files Attached Files

For what it's worth, the Cambridge city images are from 2002. As far as I can tell it's a sunday, and since it's usually held on the last weekend of July it must be 28/07/02. From the shadows I'd say it's about mid-day. I wonder how easy it is to date any other places as precisely as this?
    I can only make one person happy per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow isn't looking good either.

I'm interested to know how you discovered this was taken in 2002.

I also spotted the Festival, but the DG Coverage layers are all clearly the wrong time of the year (not a single one taken in July) and the GeoInformation Group copyright on the image is for 2006.

I'm only going by what it says on the GEH home page, Cambridge City was 2002 and the rest of Cambridgeshire in 2003. It's about right I think (there are a few other clues like the building work around the Junction) but if anyone else has any ideas I'm open to persuasion. I'd expect copyright notices to reflect the time they were copyrighted, rather than the age of the images.

Default Dating Images

I've dated a file to before July, 2004. Some airport that is now abandoned is shown in full detail with planes and all. Dont have file on this computer..search for East Colfax Airpark though
    ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾Ľ̃̾)۶

Note that the image data for Cambridge has changed to an older, poorer quality version so the Folk Festival is no longer visible. You can however now see Strawberry Fair in the process of being set up.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Cambridge has stepped back several years, as has the surrounding area. If you look at the village of Cambourne for example very little of it is there anymore.

I can understand it if some areas hadn't been done very well and the newer images (if actually older) were in higher resolution but Cambridge has been covered exceptionally well and at high resolution, so why go backwards?