Thread: Portsmouth, UK and surrounding area discussion

Default Portsmouth, UK and surrounding area discussion

This is a discussion thread for the following file:

Portsmouth, UK and surrounding area

This is the area of the UK where I originally hail from, and we all want the places we know to be in very high-res. Unfortunately this is one of the areas of Google Earth with particularly low-res imagery.

This overlay still isn't at a particularly high resolution, but it is an improvement over the default imagery. The photo has been taken from theEarth Sciences and Image Analysis Laboratory, NASA Johnson Space Center. http://eol.jsc.nasa.gov/default.htm

Clicking the placemarker in the file will display the mission details for when the photograph was taken.

I've performed some basic improvements to the image, and will try and clean it up more when I have more time. The alignment is pretty good around the coastal areas and Portsmouth itself following a 1 degree sheer to the image, it is slightly off towards the north and the Portsdown Hill area, probably because of the elevated terrain in this area.

Somewhat torn whether this should go in Overlays or Giant Overlays, but since it covers a fairly large area I've gone for the Giant Overlays category.

Image courtesy of Earth Sciences and Image Analysis Laboratory, NASA Johnson Space Center.

This isn't better than the deafault picture
    Don't forget the Portsmouth Football Club's stadium is in high resolution, and isn't on yours

Anywhoo, good that you made it! At least it blends in both sides of the harbour