Thread: Crashes when posting 900+ placemarks?

Default Crashes when posting 900+ placemarks?

I'm trying to load a KML file that contains roughly 900 placemarks. Google Earth starts loading them, and then errors out with this message before it closes: "Google Earth has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience."

I am able to break my code up into smaller groups of placemarks and load them, but i can't load all 900 at once. I've heard fo people loading 4000+ placemarks no problem.

I've got 2 Gigs of good ram, and solid video card, and fast processor. I'm running GE version 3.3.0395 (beta). Below is how my placemarks are formatted. Can anyone suggest a way to load these? It seems to be possible based one other people successfully loading many more. Thanks.

Example code:

<Placemark>
    <styleUrl>#mainStyle</styleUrl>
    <Point><coordinates>
    </coordinates></Point>
    </Placemark>
    <Placemark>
    <styleUrl>#mainStyle</styleUrl>
    <Point><coordinates>
    </coordinates></Point>
    </Placemark>

Reply to this message, attach the file, and we can try loading it. If it loads for us, then it's a problem with your PC. If none of us can load it either, then it's a problem with the file.

That'll at least get you pointed in the right direction.

Here is the file I am trying to load. It's pretty simple, straightforward KML.
    Thanks!
    Attached Files Attached Files

UC1, it loads fine for me here.. I think the problem lies in the fact that the placemark icon image cannot be found.. you might want to replace that line of code with a default icon's code... use the replace feature in notepad or something.. then hopefully it will work for you.. I still dont understand what is causing the crash

Hope this helps

T.

Ok, I took it apon myself to change the image code for you, just because thats the nice girl i am

Try this;
    Attached Files Attached Files

Hey thanks! I'll have to try it when I get back home. My computer can definitely handle it,, and when running it from my comp the image files aren't missing (they are in the same directory that my kml file was located in). Could the crash be caused by the build I'm running? Anyone have anything newer than the 3.3.0395 (beta)?

Also,, araT,, Do you have that file as a KML file? Any advantage of having a KMZ?

Quote Originally Posted by UC1
    Also,, araT,, Do you have that file as a KML file? Any advantage of having a KMZ?
    a KMZ is a renamed .zip file containing your KML & any associated pictures, you can rename the file file.zip and open it to get at the kml & pictures inside.. so essentially, you can get my KML yourself

a KML only contains code instructing google earth of the coordinates and what icon, colour & text to show!

the benifits of a KMZ are that if you make an overlay with a local image, or set a placemark with a custom icon you have made, it will save it within the .kmz so you can share it easier.. it also uses high compression so files are much smaller!

Also, the latest build is the one you have, 3.3.0395 (beta).

*phew*

T.

Thanks for the thorough response! I appreciate it! Do you think maybe I was having trouble opening this because I'm using the free version of GE? I saw another person on this board post saying he loaded 4000+ with the free version though so I don't know that that is the problem. The weird thing is that I was able to load all of the data once but I had to break it up into 3 smaller KML files. That only worked once though. When I restart it suggests I might need to clear my cache. That doesn't seem to help however.

Hmmm.. I'm still not sure what is going on and why google earth is crashing..

Google Earth (the free version) is exactly the same program as the ones you pay for (plus & pro). When you pay for the program you are given login details that enable parts of the program that are disabled in the free version.

Your friend, along with most of us should have no trouble loading 4000 placemarks.. thats the norm.

All I can recommend is that you try uninstalling Google Earth and reinstalling it.. that has apparently worked with other members' trivial problems!

Good luck!

T.

I can confirm that it is no problem to load 40000+ placemarks with the free version 3.0.0395 of Google Earth. Works here on a 1 GB Ram PC with GE running in OpenGL mode (DirectX gave me strange distortions).

I think the problem may have something to do with my video card? I'm using an ATI all-in-wonder 128 pro agp. Has anyone heard of any problems with this card? Everything seems to run fine in directX mode until I try to load more than a couple hundred placemarks. I guess I might have to buy another card, but I don't want to drop all of that money if it isn't neccessary. Anyone heard of these problems?

Default hey

thats a really big amount of files..........not as many placemarks I have though .....
    Check out the all new hYpe Entertainment to see some of my cool music remixes. Just go to hYpe Entertainment