Thread: Baghdad Palaces discussion

Default Baghdad Palaces discussion

This is a discussion thread for the following file:

Baghdad Palaces

Users may find these buildings of pre-war Iraq interesting if not beautiful.

Thought I better step in first.
    I am not so sure know that the area is pre-war. I assumed it was because I couldn't see any damage to buildings especially the Presidential Palaces. I have seen tanks and helicopters at other airports (thanks to nummer2, see forum) but the Iraqis had them too and it is impossible to make out what type of helicopters they are.

Quote Originally Posted by hank1603
    Thought I better step in first.
    I am not so sure know that the area is pre-war. I assumed it was because I couldn't see any damage to buildings especially the Presidential Palaces. I have seen tanks and helicopters at other airports (thanks to nummer2, see forum) but the Iraqis had them too and it is impossible to make out what type of helicopters they are.
    The Baghdad images are pre-war. You would see some significant fortifications if the US was occupying. There are a few images that are post war, as you've pointed out, but none in Baghdad, as far as I can tell. The only palaces I know of that got any significant damage in Baghdad are one of the palaces belonging to his son in the Green Zone (that area at the river bend) and the Presidential Palace North on the lake near the airport. I've driven by both on many occasions. The one on the lake has most of the eastern bridge destroyed and I think some minor structural damage. They were rebuilding it when I was over there. The one in the Green Zone is the palace north of the Presidential Palace. It has a blue dome and a fountain in front. That palace is almost complete destroyed. I have some decent pictures of it and the interior of the Presidential Palace. I'm not sure what kind of reconstruction will go on with that Green Zone palace because it's almost a lost cause. The Presidential Palace is in great shape, though it is now missing the Saddam heads on the roof. The pool in the back is awesome, the lucky guys assigned there get to use it. I think there were four of them, you can still see them if you zoom in.