Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Update frequency

Default Update frequency

Hi

Does anyone know how often the satellite images are updated.

I've found where my house is here in Thailand. I've lived in this house for 2 years now but the satellite image show our estate under construction and only 1 house has a roof on it, so the image must be around 3 years old.

I don't really mind, it's still kind of cool to see the estate being built but I'm curious how often the images will be updated.

Cheers

Mick

Google says that they're all "less than three years old". I can date a few places in the US based on construction, and they all seem to be right around three years old. I'm sure there are areas that are quite new, but I don't know where they are offhand.

It'll be interesting to watch things update and improve on the Earth over time.

Mickey

The satellite images of Rio de Janeiro-Brazil are 3 years old or more. Just like Mickey said, it is easy to known the dates by looking at the constructions....

For me that isn't a problem at all...I think google did a great work with this program and I am really addicted to it 8)

Se ya.

The images near my house (Tulsa, OK) are very recent, within a year.
    I can see my truck in the wifes work parking lot.
    Come out and play with
    www.OUTDOORADVENTUREGROUP.org

The maps in my cities in Australia are over 12 months old ... with many of them using lower resolution images ... Google claims they are in the process of updating them ...

Quote Originally Posted by Grail
    The maps in my cities in Australia are over 12 months old ... with many of them using lower resolution images ... Google claims they are in the process of updating them ...
    The ones in my area are all around three years old, but almost all in high-res. I guess you get the good with the bad.

It is interesting that Microsoft's Terraserver gives you exact dates of their aerial photos. For example, the photo of my old house in Chicago area is dated April 10, 2002. Google Earth shows exact same image. I don't know much about either services so I wonder if they share some global database or whatever.

Of particular note are the pictures in Iraq. You can see that most of the images were taken before the (latest) US war. The palaces are still intact and Baghdad's still largely undamaged.

Some very interesting desert fires though..

A dual carriageway in our valley is missing, which makes it over 3 years old.

I can see some construction that was going on while I was in Iraq last year. The airbase we used to convoy to has a C17 sitting on the runway and all of the tents and trailers they lived in are pretty clear in the images. There's a float bridge crossing the Tigris that was put in by the military in 2003 that we crossed on the way to that basecamp. Judging by the type of bridge (it was replaced with a better one last fall) and the construction at the airbase, some of those Iraq images are from June through July 2004.

Quote Originally Posted by bhb
    Of particular note are the pictures in Iraq. You can see that most of the images were taken before the (latest) US war. The palaces are still intact and Baghdad's still largely undamaged.

Some very interesting desert fires though..
    Those Baghdad photos are definitely pre-war. None of the fortifications around the Green Zone and the various basecamps in Baghdad are there and Saddam's statue is still standing in Firdos Square.

Check who has the copyright for the imagery you are viewing. Should show up bottom center. Then visit their website to see how often their satellite takes imagery, or when they may launch a new, better one.

Some places may have "new" imagery, but if it was taken at 30-meter resolution it still will be pixelated. Imagery for St. Louis is at least three years old, but the resolution is very high. It's an interesting tradeoff between quality and up-to-dateness.

Default hello

Quote Originally Posted by Giggle
    Hi

Does anyone know how often the satellite images are updated.

I've found where my house is here in Thailand. I've lived in this house for 2 years now but the satellite image show our estate under construction and only 1 house has a roof on it, so the image must be around 3 years old.

I don't really mind, it's still kind of cool to see the estate being built but I'm curious how often the images will be updated.

Cheers

Mick
    one area that is relatively new is lawrence ave in norridge,IL which has been updated with the car wash that was added a year ago and the burnt down apartment which happened 2 months before g.e's realese. also the harlem irving plaza in norridge,IL has been updated with the target which was built a year ago. so the updates for norridge,IL range from 6 months to a year.
    Last edited by hypeserver; 07-18-2005 at 11:50 PM. Reason: update in post

Quote Originally Posted by watts
    Those Baghdad photos are definitely pre-war. None of the fortifications around the Green Zone and the various basecamps in Baghdad are there and Saddam's statue is still standing in Firdos Square.
    Can anybody help me with a Lat/Lon reference for Firdos Square, Ive tried using th esearch function in Google Earth but no luck.

Thanks

I'll do you one better...here's the kmz file.
    Attached Files Attached Files