Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: USS Enterprise (CVN-65) discussion

Default USS Enterprise (CVN-65) discussion

This is a discussion thread for the following file:

USS Enterprise (CVN-65)

This is not the Star Trek ship...

The USS Enterprise (CVN-65) was the world's first nuclear-powered aircraft carrier and the eighth U.S. Navy ship of the name. As of 2006, the ship is homeported at Norfolk, Virginia, and scheduled for retirement in 2013. Her intended replacement is the as-yet-to-be-named CVN-21 class supercarrier CVN-78.

Enterprise was originally designated as CVA(N)-65 - the 'N' standing for nuclear, but later was changed to its current designation.

Like her predecessor of World War II fame, she is nicknamed the "Big E" and is well known throughout the world. At 1,123 feet, she remains the world's longest aircraft carrier, though her 89,600 tons are surpassed by the Nimitz class. She is also the only aircraft carrier to house more than two nuclear reactors. Enterprise's eight-reactor propulsion design was rather conservative, with each A2W reactor taking the place of one boiler.

Enterprise was intended to be the first of a class of six, but construction costs ballooned and the remaining vessels were never laid down resulting in her being the only ship of her class.

Not the Enterprise. Big E's island is squared and she has 2 beams at the end of the flight deck (at the bow). So it's a Nimitz class, probably the Dwight D. Eisenhower (CVN-69).
    Last edited by JMand; 05-30-2006 at 08:52 AM.

It would be nice to know, from which date the picture is!

On May 24, 2001, IKE entered the Northrop Grumman Newport News (NGNN) shipyard for her mid-life Refueling Complex Overhaul where nearly every space and system on board was upgraded and overhauled.

When the picture was taken at this time, so it can not be IKE.
    You search it, I will find it!

That is indeed the Eisenhower, with the USS George Washington next to her. I know the Company that is responsible for the SPAWAR equipement. If you want pictures from the dock, I am sure he would take them.
    Latine loqui coactus sum! Latro! fremo!
    Sed quis custodiet ipsos custodes? Si sapis, sis Senatus!

Si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes

If you could save yourself, would you save us all?

But, how can it be? It entered NGNN in 2001 and left 2005. The shipyard is at the other side of the bay.

More think about CVN-75 USS Harry S. Truman at his PIA (Planned Incremental Availability). Work is like: replacement of catwalk grating, the rework of the catapults, the resurfacing of the flight deck and the replacement of service steam piping ....

This happend from Aug 2003 until Feb 2004.

Quote Originally Posted by McMaster_de
    But, how can it be? It entered NGNN in 2001 and left 2005. The shipyard is at the other side of the bay.
    I will ask him what was in that slip. He will know. I know the Washington is still there.

At least we know it's a Nimitz class for sure
    *edit*
    After research, I believe it is the USS Carl Vinson (CVN-70)
    Last edited by BradG7; 05-30-2006 at 01:23 PM.
    Remember what movie these are from? I bet you don't!
    "You do well in school?"---"Yeah"---"Good, so did I, that's what they call a paradox"

"How's your mother?"---"Oh... I'm afraid she's on her way out."---"We all are. Act accordingly."

Just found out that the shipyard is on both sides of the bay according to my uncle
    "You do well in school?"---"Yeah"---"Good, so did I, that's what they call a paradox"

"How's your mother?"---"Oh... I'm afraid she's on her way out."---"We all are. Act accordingly."

Image information:

Date: 2004-01-19
    Catalog ID: 1010010002A47F01
    Cloud Cover: 6%, Quality: 70

It is the USS Eisenhower.

I thought the Eisenhower was based out of San Diego?

On May 22, 2001, USS EISENHOWER entered Newport News Shipbuilding for her first and only refueling in her 50-year life-span.

The scope of work is valued at approximately $1.5 billion and includes the refueling of both the ship’s reactors, as well as significant modernization work. Work includes a major upgrade of the island house that will involve the shipyard removing the top two levels of the island house and replacing them. This action is driven by the installation of a new antenna mast that runs down along the island and will provide for better radar capabilities. The shipyard is also integrating a new radar tower aboard EISENHOWER.

Maintenance and repair work was performed below the ship’s waterline to include the application of a new paint system. In addition, the shipyard replaced nearly 3,000 valves and overhauling another 600 in various ship systems.

More than 3,500 Newport News Shipbuilding employees worked aboard EISENHOWER during peak periods of the overhaul and refueling project. The work was completed on November 6, 2004, and ten days later the carrier was certified ready for sea.

http://navysite.de/cvn/cvn69.html

The NGNN is the shipbuilding yard of Northrop Grumman and the IKE was their in the drydock, not afload beside a pier, so you are correct that it was in the slip.

Newport News is on the opposite of Hampton Roads (Norfolk Naval Base), which is the place of the 'unknown' carrier.

When you are correct with date of the picture, so it must be CVN-75 in PIA, which was there at the time, to overhaul the flightdeck.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by BradG7
    At least we know it's a Nimitz class for sure
    *edit*
    After research, I believe it is the USS Carl Vinson (CVN-70)
    CVN-70 is based in Bremerton, WA.

Quote Originally Posted by McMaster_de
    The NGNN is the shipbuilding yard of Northrop Grumman and the IKE was their in the drydock, not afload beside a pier, so you are correct that it was in the slip.

Newport News is on the opposite of Hampton Roads (Norfolk Naval Base), which is the place of the 'unknown' carrier.

When you are correct with date of the picture, so it must be CVN-75 in PIA, which was there at the time, to overhaul the flightdeck.

That is not true. It was in drydock to do below the waterline, but look how close the image date is too the re-launch date. They are just finishing her up.