This is a discussion thread for the following file:

Szechenyi Chain Bridge, Budapest

Széchenyi Lánchíd or Széchenyi Chain Bridge is one of the most famous bridges of Budapest, Hungary. It connects Buda and Pest (the west and east side of the capital) across the River Danube.



Its two ends are Roosevelt square (with the Gresham Palace and the Hungarian Academy of Sciences) and Adam Clark square (the Zero Kilometre Stone, and the lower end of the Budapest Funicular, leading to the Buda Castle).

The first bridge across the Danube in Budapest, it was designed by the English engineer William Tierney Clark in 1839, after Count István Széchenyi's initiative in the same year, with construction supervised locally by Scottish engineer Adam Clark (no relation). It opened in 1849, thus became the first bridge in the Hungarian capital. The twice two lions at the abutments were added in 1852.