Thread: World's Largest Wind Farm

Cool World's Largest Wind Farm

Here is the world's largest Wind Farm. Located offshore from Copenhagen, Denmark Middlelgrunden's twenty 2000 kW turbines have a total estimated electricity production of about 89,000,000 kWh per year. This means that approximately 3% of the electricity consumption within the municipality of Copenhagen can be covered by these wind turbines.
    Source:
    http://www.middelgrunden.dk/MG_UK/pr...o/location.htm
    Attached Files Attached Files

Default are you sure?

I once heard that the wind park I attached is only the second largest on earth (actually I don't know, which is the largest then). But the Tehachapi Park produces 1.3 Billion kw/h per year with 4600 turbines (http://www.westernwindenergy.com/pro...hp?projectid=1 ). And what you see in the attachment is only a small part of it....

Default Largest offshore windmill park

Middelgrunden windmill park was properly the largest offshore windmill park, while the largest in land parks are surely to be found in the US.
    The current largest offshore windmill park can be found west of the most western point of Jutland (Denmark). It consists of 80 mills of each 2MW. They expect an annual output of 600,000,000 kwh.
    I tried to spot it with GE, but the picture is to low-res. In stead Iĺve estimated the location ľ and if it is of interest, you can visit the web page of Horns Rev windmill park at http://www.hornsrev.dk/Engelsk/default_ie.htm

-Amby-
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks for the great info!. I was going by the reference on the Middlegrunden website which is probably out of date (or biased!).

Now that you mention it, I remember the name Horn's Rev in the current issue of National Geographic.

Thanks for the correction.

Default Horns rev with overlay

I didn't know that Horns Rev was described in National Geographic. My father works at the site so I'll try to find the issue for him.

I've just tried to experiment with the overlay function of GE for the first time - producing a picture of the offshore park (but still with limited resolution).

enjoy

-Amby-

Default Nat'l Geo article link

Amby,

Here's the link to the text of the article at least.
    http://www7.nationalgeographic.com/n.../fulltext.html

The mention of Horns Rev is in a caption of a large feature picture showing a guy getting lowered on top of a turbine from a helicopter (maybe your Dad!). It looks like you'd have to get a hard copy of the mag. to get the pic though, I couldn't find it in the website.

Default Thanks!

Thanks!

I'll try to get a harcopy.
    If you want to know more about Horns Rev and it's short history, you can order a free DVD at their webpage (link posted earlier). It contains about half an hour of documentary of how they build it and such. They are so proud of their project that they even pay for the shipment ;-)

I have always heard that the largest wind farm is the Altamont wind farm near Livermore California (in the SF Bay Area).

I just added this one to the site. Hope it helps.