Thread: Normandy Memorial, France discussion

Default Normandy Memorial, France discussion

This is a discussion thread for the following file:

Normandy Memorial, France

The World War II Normandy American Cemetery and Memorial is situated on a cliff overlooking Omaha Beach and the English Channel in Colleville-sur Mer, France.

It contains the graves of 9,387 American military Dead, most of whom gave their lives during the landings and ensuing operations of World War II.

Default No offense to the German Members

If the Americans had not invaded we would all be speaking German. I DO NOT mean to insult any of our German members. WWII was a terrible time in world history, and we should all learn from the lessons that our father and grandfathers paid for. (There may even be some WWII vets out there, and for you guys..THANK YOU for your service in whatever country you served.)
    No longer "Laid back at the lake."

Super Moderator Captain Hornblower's Avatar

Don't worry, I don't feel insulted.

we should all learn from the lessons that our father and grandfathers paid for
    *thumb up*

Software is like entropy. It is difficult to grasp, weighs nothing, and obeys the second law of thermodynamics; i.e., it always increases.
    Norman R. Augustine

Quote Originally Posted by tcoker
    If the Americans had not invaded we would all be speaking German. I DO NOT mean to insult any of our German members. WWII was a terrible time in world history, and we should all learn from the lessons that our father and grandfathers paid for. (There may even be some WWII vets out there, and for you guys..THANK YOU for your service in whatever country you served.)
    Thank you for the overlay in higher resolution than the rest of that part of the Normandy coastline.

I came in via Marseille in January 1945.

Attached is a link to the landing zones around Agay in the south of France. My first wife, a Frenchwoman, was in Antibes on that 15th August 1944 when they saw all these colored dots in the sky, and soon realized that they were paratroopers in the landings that liberated them.
    Attached Files Attached Files

I salute you, defending freedom, to me, is the highest rank anyone can assume.

As for speaking German, not likely, think about the three powers clashing into one fight if they did succeed in the war. My guess is Germany would've lost due to thier battles were mostly large victories of suprise. Think about it, Poland, smaller European countries to the south, France all were quick "hello we're here" and Bam! They conquered. In my opinion, sm,all factions would've reappeared and Global economy would've resumed.
    Remember what movie these are from? I bet you don't!
    "You do well in school?"---"Yeah"---"Good, so did I, that's what they call a paradox"

"How's your mother?"---"Oh... I'm afraid she's on her way out."---"We all are. Act accordingly."

Default I was thinking

Most of the poeple in the US at the time wanted to stay out of it. Including the Senate and the House. Maybe the rest of the Allies could have won without the US but we'll never know that. As a second thought I think the Allies would have won but it would have taken longer, then Russia/USSR would be the Super Power now, and would have put the first man on the Moon.
    No longer "Laid back at the lake."