Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Huge data update in Google Earth

Ok. New imagery update in Serbia and im guessing other countries as well. Serbia now has, i think its called "Spot image" of the entire country. All the areas that had extremely low quality images now have low/medium res pictures taken in Jul 20. 2003. Its not much better but its the improvement non the less.

Same for Croatia (Istria east coast etc.).
    Anyways, better than nothing...

In the USA, Virginia has two patches so far. One is out in the middle of the State, but the other one is in Northern Virginia, which is the southern section of the Washington DC area. They didn't do 100% of the area, but most of it. My office is FINALLY visible, heh. Judging from the date displayed, we were just about to begin moving into it from a different location.

Also in the USA, the coloration looks very different in North Carolina. I'm not certain about it, though. There are so many areas visible now that it's hard to keep track of these things.

Turkey looks different to me as well. I can't remember if it got the SPOT imagery previously though.

Right now I am experiencing a VERY slow connection getting GE data. I'm fine to any other site or with any other application. Given that often the updates come in on Monday night, it makes me wonder if there's a larger update on the way and we've only see a few trickles of information so far.

They certainly have built up a massive number of Street View images I'm sure, if nothing else.

Super Moderator

Northern part of Bulgaria, outside the city of Ruse, along the river Danube is updated too.

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Munden View Post
    They certainly have built up a massive number of Street View images I'm sure, if nothing else.
    You're right. I have allready moved files to outdated items. So far in KY, OR and FL.

Some files in Paris have been removed too beause of censored images.

New Google Earth Imagery: 13-October-2008

[UPDATED 0645 ET 14-Oct-2008: Make sure you check "View in Google Maps" to confirm the imagery is new before leaving a comment.]

Just started getting reports of places with new or updated high resolution imagery. Keep sending in reports if you find something new. You can tell if an image is new by clicking the "View in Google Maps" link in GE to compare. Google Maps doesn't yet have the new imagery so if the imagery isn't the same - its new. Here's the list of places found so far:

India - New medium resolution Spot Image background imagery for a big portion of India. Thanks to GEB reader Alok Patel for being the first to report new imagery.

US - Looks like a big portion of North Carolina has new unattributed aerial imagery - or at least it is color processed differently. Big area around Salt Lake City, Utah has new imagery from the State of Utah. Fairfax County Virginia - thanks to GEB reader Ben. Spotsylvania County, Virginia - new high res. Areas of Beaumont, TX. Thanks to Munden.

Mexico - An area in northern Mexico has new medium resolution Spot Image imagery - adding to the Spot imagery in a recent update for Mexico. A bunch of the islands around Baja have also been added with better resolution from Spot Image.

Romania - Looks like the country of Romania has new medium resolution Spot imagery as well.

Spain - Menorca, Mallorca - Thanks to GEB reader Rene73

Czech Republic - the entire country has new high resolution imagery from a provider called GEODIS Brno. Very nice! Thanks to GEB reader Rene73

More Eastern European Countries - New medium resolution Spot Image imagery in the northern part of Albania, most parts of Montenegro, Kosova, Macedonia, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Croatia, and Serbia. Thanks to GEB reader Edi.

Italy - Capri, Elba, Firenze, Urbino, Verona - Thanks to GEB reader Ezra.

Australia - Big region in the northeast now has medium resolution Spot Image imagery. Thanks to GEB reader 'toler'. Ayer's Rock has new high res imagery.

Norway - Trondheim. Thanks to GEB reader Esme Cowles.

Canary Islands - Futureventura, Tenerife - The SS American Star wreck has has almost disappeared beneath the water now. The imagery date for the Canaries says 2008! Thanks to James at GoogleSightseeing.com for this find. See his post for more details and a link to the ship location.

South Africa - Areas around Johannesburg

Guinea Bissau - New highres patch near Bafata. Thanks to Snakeye.

UK - Lundy Island high res now. Thanks to Munden. Also, Aberdeen, Hampshire, North Lincolnshire, part of Derbyshire. Thanks to James.

Portugal - New high resolution strip of imagery near Nazaré. Thanks to Snakeye.

Posted by FrankTaylor at October 13, 2008 01:23 PM
    ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶

Panoramio pictures updated.

It would be nice if they did some satellite image update to folow but what 'ya gonna do.

Cya

Woo, did you see the new look of the oceans? Better resolution picture of oceans around the globe.

I think you can see the bottom, like radar picture. You can see underwater "mountains", cracks, shallow and dipper ends...

O man, GE is starting to look more and more natural.

Woah!! It seems like Google Ocean has become a reality!
    ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶

glah!! That was a wild update! I was just looking at it earlier today too! That really is a much better coloring for a fake relief map!

I've not seen anything big, but there might be a scattering of smaller updates. I just spotted that Google has inserted a bit of satelllite imagery on top of the Naval Observatory in Washington DC so that it's no longer censored. This is similar to updates elsewhere in France and Spain to keep censored areas visible.

Actually, Washington DC itself got a big update. Note that the WWII Memorial is now finished where it was still under construction in their older imagery. The update includes the downtown area, spreading out to include a solid chunk of the Potomac, down to including part of the Wilson Bridge. I wish they'd gotten down to the National Harbor, but this isn't so bad. The update seems to include verything in the DC border. Some of the imagery was taken with the trees bare, but it's all different from 2008 and different from Google Maps.

You can even see that "The Awakening" is gone from it's old location too. Nice update. Hope there's more!
    Last edited by Munden; 01-18-2009 at 06:29 AM.

Super Moderator

Naval Observatory is unblurred too.

When i saw new ocean look yesterday i wanted to share it with http://www.gearthblog.com/ GEB author but i didnt know how. Anyone else knows how to contact him and let him know about new stuff in GE?