This is a discussion thread for the following file:

D-Day - Point du Hoc

This Batterie which overlooked both the Omaha and Utah landing beaches was equipped with six 155 mm type K418 guns. These guns would have had a range of approximately 22 kms and could have inflicted damage to the Allied ships at both the American landing beaches.

Only two of the Casemates were finished by D-day, but the guns not installed..

These were of the type H671. The Fire Control Post Type H636 was finished and operational, and equipped with a telemeter to give accurate firing co-ordinates to the guns.

The gun emplacements were concrete bases in the open.

During the winter of 1943 three Casemates of the type H679 were started, but not completed.

In April 1944 the Allies bombed the site and destroyed one gun. Rommel decided to move the remaining guns further inland. Also installed on the site were two 20 mm Flak 30 guns as well as numerous machine gun posts. The Regiment stationed here at the time of D-day were the 2/HKAR 1260. On the next headland, Pointe du Percee the Kriegsmarine had a radar station code named Imme, which also had its own Flak 30 and machine gun posts. In many American documents during and after the war Point du Hoc is often misspelt as Pointe du Hoe. For more information on the taking of Pointe du Hoc visit our other web site www.normandy1944.org.uk



http://www.atlantikwall.org.uk/point_du_hoc.htm