Thread: Western World discussion

Hybrid View

Default Western World discussion

This is a discussion thread for the following file:

Western World

The term Western world or "the West" can have multiple meanings depending on its context. Originally defined as Western Europe, most modern uses of the term refer to the societies of Europe and their close genealogical, linguistic, and philosophical colonial descendants, typically included are those countries whose dominant culture is derived from European culture.

Default Russia Western?

I wonder what the source was for this? I certainly wouldn't consider Russia to be western in any way, shape, or form.

Russia as a Western country is of course controversial. Nevertheless one might take into concideration that Russia is a European country, Christian country, its culture is a lot closer to that of other "more" western nations, than for example the Far East or the Middle East, and its race Caucasian.

To a Chinese Russia is a Western nation. To an American it might not be this way. Because Slavic peoples are part of the western world (I am a Slav, being Bulgarian), and because Russia is a slavic country it is rightly included in this term.

One way to find out whether a country is Western or not is to ask yourself whether it has a European ancestry or not. Thus Russia fits in, as well as the Americas, Australia and NZ, and of course Europe itself.