Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 93 Weird, Funny, and Ridiculous City Names discussion

Quote Originally Posted by sladys
    I think it would be OK if you make one folder with inappropriate city names so that people won't be offended by it.
    Now that I'm getting closer to the end, I really need a definite way to display "inappropriate" place names. The problem with putting them in a separate folder is that they still show up on the globe. Is there a way to make it so that that folder is unclicked when the file is downloaded and the only way to look at those files is to manually click on the folder. If you are unsure of what I mean by "inappropriate" I'll send you the inappropriate folder and you can see for yourself.

A point of argument is that if I directly point them out as inappropriate, some people will avoid the caution sign and open it regardless. Same concept as chocolate: tell your kid not to eat the chocolate and the counter and they'll try their hardest to eat it.

Any other suggestions?

As it stands, there are going to be about 1000 placemarks in the USA alone. Around 50 of them might be inappropriate. About 1/8 of the UK ones are inappropriate, and 1/2 of the Russians ones (don't have very Russian ones).

Also, looking for more wacko city names before I update.
    ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶

Super Moderator

Here are the cities of Denmark.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks.
    ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶

@ Sladys
    My German is kind of rusty and falling apparent. These are place names of which I can't translate or am unsure of what they mean (I often have the general sense of it but cant get a good translation). And generally the online translators cannot translate the names either. Can you please translate these place names for me? Thanks.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶

Super Moderator Captain Hornblower's Avatar

It will be hard to translate them....

Software is like entropy. It is difficult to grasp, weighs nothing, and obeys the second law of thermodynamics; i.e., it always increases.
    Norman R. Augustine

I bet. Lots of German slang I'm not used to. And often the direct translation doesn't work. Just translate those that seem translatable, and I'll leave the other ones saying: "Slang - Untranslatable" or something.
    ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶

Bump. Can anyone translate these?
    ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶

Half Com is part of Ebay. Look at my uploaded KMZ. HalfWay Oregon.
    Elfish for my true name
    Findecáno Táralóm

My mind works better in sentences with spaces and long paragraphs loose me sometimes cause I need to picture what is going on at the same time I am reading.