Thread: LAX Theme Building - 3D discussion

Default LAX Theme Building - 3D discussion

This is a discussion thread for the following file:

LAX Theme Building - 3D

This 135-foot tall structure, built to resemble a landing space-craft is pretty impressive, especially in 3D.

Default Not really....

I livein Los Angeles, and have seen and been beside this building MANY times. I moved here from a little tiny place in the midwest, so most building with interesting architecture amaze me. This one however, doesn't do anything for me. It's actually kind of boring looking in real life. Just a reminder of an era when "flying cars" were still thought to be the wave of the future. Architecturally, the only interesting thing is that it was the first building to utilize parabolic arches in it's design. It's just a restraunt, too. Nothing fancy, albeit way more interesting on the inside than it is on the outside. The name of the restraunt is "Encounters" and you can view their new website at: http://www.encounterlax.com/

Oh, and if you could tell me wherever you saw that it's meant to resemble a "landing spacecraft", I'd be interested to know. For starters, it doesn't even look anything like a spacecraft, let alone one which is landing, and the restraunt's website which includes history and facts about the building never makes any mention that it was built to "resemble" anything.

If you want a "landing" spacecraft type of building, look at the Westin Hotel in downtown Los Angeles. It looks almost perfectly like a super giant Space shuttle that landed nose first, halfway into the ground, boosters now aimed at the sky.

JJC

If you're intersted in history of LAX, here's some overlays I made showing aerial history back to 1938.

The theme restaurant was probably more impressive back in the 1960s when it was pretty much the only structure between the terminals. These days it gets crowded out by the parking garages.

http://www.fox-fam.com/gefiles/aerials/LAX/LAX_nl.kml

Matt

٩(̾●̮̮̃̾Ľ̃̾)۶