Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Censered areas on 2 aircraft carriers? discussion

Default Censered areas on 2 aircraft carriers? discussion

This is a discussion thread for the following file:

Censered areas on 2 aircraft carriers?

Looks like censored areas or big covers on 2 American aircraft carriers. The one to the south is the USS Enterprise, the other could be the USS George Washington (CNV 65 and 73). Either way, there's something they don't want anyone to see.

Default Not censored...

No, this is not censorship. When there is construction on ships, they usually enclose the area in a tarp so that 1)rain does not enter the construction site and 2)to make sure that any debris does not enter the water and the Navy doesn't get fined. Looks like they are doing work on the nonskid or the catapult systems.

Default not censorship

Either that, or they are NOT covering up some highly classified ariucraft that are really NOT there!

Default My Thoughts?

According to File Downloads : Ships/Boats/Submarines : Norfolk Naval Base these are the Roosevelt and Enterprise.CVN 71 on the North and CVN 71 to the South.
    I think STYCKX is right on with idea of working on the nonskid. White area seems to be a tarp or maybe the first coat of nonskid or epoxy, not a canopy as there is no shadow showing elevation like an eclosure with height.

Construction area. Look at the carrier next to these 2, it is not covered in that area. The tarps / tents might be over the elevator for bringing aircraft up to surface of carrier.
    Elfish for my true name
    Findecáno Táralóm

My mind works better in sentences with spaces and long paragraphs loose me sometimes cause I need to picture what is going on at the same time I am reading.

Default elevators

The elevators are on the pier side of the carriers. You can see that they are down on the northern ship 2 forward and 1 aft of the island. The aircraft are usually flown on board once the ship's at sea, I would think the only planes on-board in port are down for maintenance or just plain busted..
    If you look around Norfolk you can find at least 3 other in drydock of under construction. The Harry S. Truman. the George H.W. Bush and the Carl Vinson.
    The Carrier to the south of the 2 we're talking about is the Dwight D Eisenhower. By the way if you scoot over to San Diego you can find the Nimitz
    B

There is also a slight, blue reflective "halo" around the white tarps from the reflection.
    I can see the pub from 'ere.

The white patch is whiter than any of the white cars parked nearby. At least one of the car should reflect sun equivalent to the white tarp if it is there. Can one put a tarp so tight that not even one bulge or depression is there?

Sun elevation is low and even a 5 ft high tar should show some shadow somewhere.But there is no shadow either in the East or in the North of white area.Even the cars show a good amount of shadow.

It could be nonskid if not mask. Non skid appears to be a more possibility because on the southern ship one can see a few vehicles aligned with the western edge of nonskid. These could be vehicles supporting the operation. Fresh paint will reflect heavily give a glow around the painted area.

I am not a mariner but from Wikimapia I find following names :
    USS Theodore Roosevelt (CVN-71) ( Norther Ship )
    USS Enterprise (CVN-65) ( southern ship)

There is one more ship a little South with a similar operation going on.

USS Wasp (LHD-1) or USS Kearsarge (LHD-3) .

Shashi
    Last edited by SSSALVI; 11-15-2006 at 09:19 AM.

GEEZ! Talk about paranoia! Those white area's are tents that are placed around the catapult area's while they do major repairs or installations. Why you may ask? Well think about the forces required to move a fully loaded aircraft from 0 to takeoff speed in that short distance. Tolerances are more critical there than about anyplace you can think of.

Definately areas that are being worked on. See southern ship.

If it was some kind of censorship why are there vehicles and equipment parked so neatly around the area of "censorship" If there was any censorship it would simply be the prevention of coverage i.e. photo set or satellite set would no be allowed into the public domain for use on public sites.

WHOA! WHOA! WHOA! I didn't think this would start a big consperacy theory!
    The white areas are obviously not photo censered areas. They do look like big tarps/ covers/ tents of some sort. I do not believe they are a paint or coating because there are no breaks or interuptions in them (i. e. the catapult rail, lifts, etc.). They are probably to 1. Cover and protect something or someone from the elements, 2. Keep someone from seeing whats going on, or 3. Keep consperacy nuts on their toes.
    But thanks, guys, it is an interesting thread.

Default Paranoria???

Hell Gunny we got to have something to be paranoid about.. after these last elections we ain't got nothin' left..everything is goin' to be hunky dorry!!! yea right.

Post What is this no-skid stuff?

Just a general knowledge question ( or rather a set of questions )

What is this no skid stuff? Is it always white in color? Is it applied on all airstrips?

But then all the airstrips are black and have white markings on them. Howcome?

Any answers please?

Incidentally, with those vehicles parked neatly we must rule out the mask theory.

Shashi

OK,
    Looking around on the 'net, I found this picture of the USS Carl Vinson (CVN-70) in drydock. As you can see, there are some really big white tarps/covers over the deck. Again, hidding or protecting something?
    And I could not find anything about a white non-skid surfacing on the decks, but I'm still looking. I am sure that carriers do have some kind of coating or paint on the decks, but I don't thing regular airstrips do.

http://www.navsource.org/archives/02/027042.jpg
    Original page,
    http://www.navsource.org/archives/02/70.htm

I've not seen a carrier with white "non-skid" covering on the deck. Given the punishment the decks take, it would probably come off very rapidly. There's also not a lot of point since the aicraft don't use manual brakes. They hit the deck and immediately go to 100% power in case they missed the cables. They'd not be trying to brake while opening the throttles.

The white objects in question are large tents to protect the inner workings of the decks as they are opened up for maintenance. Looks like in both of the CVN carriers, it's catapults 3 and 4 getting some work done.

Here are some other helpful images.

Smaller tents, but they give one an idea of what these things can look like:

Note the white 'shed' structure on the left: