Thread: HMS Hood last minute (1941-05-27 06h00 discussion

Default HMS Hood last minute (1941-05-27 06h00 discussion

This is a discussion thread for the following file:

HMS Hood last minute (1941-05-27 06h00

A terrific image... the last straddling salvo with hits from the Bismark one minute before final blow up.

The raging fire of AA shells caused by hits of Prinz Eugen is clearly visible on rear shelter deck.

This document is from unknown origin (german or british ?)

Question last minute

I've seen this picture before but it was labeled as being from the action of Mers-el-Kebir (the shelling of the French fleet after France surrendered). I think the only ship close enough to Hood during the action of the Denmark strait was Prince of Wales and she was aft of the hood not off her starboard

Hello,

Well, even if this unknown origin document was referenced as indicated (i don't remember where it came from) ... you may be right for i've found it again -in a better state- in an old book dedicated to HMS HOOD and BISMARK fates.

HMS Prince of Wales was of course the only close enough vessel for such a picture, but at that time, you're right, she was still a little bit aft (1/2 mile) and absolutely not in place for the photo. When she'd been there, HMS HOOD had already blown up.

This photo is supposed to be from July,9 1940, 6 days after Mers-el-Kebir action, when Force H was heavily attacked by italian bombers near by Cagliari. The height of the view shows that it could have been shot from HMS Ark Royal which was very close on port side that day.

Aft black clouds are not from HOOD blazing fire (which took place near by rear mast from ready-to-serve AA ammo park) but just exploding bombs on the water.

rgds

Super Moderator Captain Hornblower's Avatar

File was denied on Attilas request...

Software is like entropy. It is difficult to grasp, weighs nothing, and obeys the second law of thermodynamics; i.e., it always increases.
    Norman R. Augustine