Thread: Obtaining a 2D world map

Hybrid View

Default Obtaining a 2D world map

Hi there,
    I'm trying to figure out how to use Google Earth to create a two dimension world map (I want to print a spectacular large wall poster, let's say 1,5 meters height x 2 meters width).

Doing so by hand is a bad idea, so maybe someone can suggest an automated way?

Thanks in advance

You would probably be breaking copyright by printing the map.

Practically, it would be virtually impossible. You would need to put every area on the map in the viewing area long enough for it to download the full detail.

Since I plan to print a fixed size poster it should be possible to calculate a certain zoom level and, yes, explore whole earth to download desired images.

I'm asking if there is a way to achieve this in an automatic way.

Thank you for answering!

Well, once you have all the images, a program like autostitch might help:

http://www.cs.ubc.ca/~mbrown/autostitch/autostitch.html

It does an amazing job at matching elements from different photos and stitching and warping them so they match up. You'd still have to take the snapshots yourself, and I'm not sure how accurate distances would be after it's all stitched together (but then, mapping a globe into a flat image is tricky anyway).

Thought it could help at least.

Default Blue Marble

No need to stitch!

Get the Blue Marble image from NASA which is the base data for programs like Google Earth or World Wind. According to their own marketing it is the highest resolution single image of the earth and I can second that. They have in fact different images, e.g. the city lights by night are very nice.

Hope this helped.