Thread: New GE 4.1.7 deletes KMW files.

Default New GE 4.1.7 deletes KMW files.

I loaded the NEW GE 4.1.7 yesterday and ran it for a few hours with no problem. This morning when I booted my computer and went to GE. I went to save a new site and noticed that all of my KMZ files were gone. Folders and files gone.... panic....

I went to my other laptop and looked and for sure they were gone also... I will have to look through my back ups and find the latest one to restore what I can.
    Last edited by Gandolf; 05-10-2007 at 05:34 PM.
    Elfish for my true name
    Findecáno Táralóm

My mind works better in sentences with spaces and long paragraphs loose me sometimes cause I need to picture what is going on at the same time I am reading.

Super Moderator Captain Hornblower's Avatar

No probs here

Software is like entropy. It is difficult to grasp, weighs nothing, and obeys the second law of thermodynamics; i.e., it always increases.
    Norman R. Augustine

Super Moderator

No problems here too.

I can not explain why but all of my files (KMZ) and thier folders are gone. attached are two pics showing what was with all of the direcrories and now with only the default file.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Elfish for my true name
    Findecáno Táralóm

My mind works better in sentences with spaces and long paragraphs loose me sometimes cause I need to picture what is going on at the same time I am reading.

Gandolf -

I went to "Help --> Check for updates online" and it told me there were no updates available. I checked my version and it was 4.0.2737.

I went to my C:\Program Files\Google\Google Earth\kvw folder and the only thing in it was default_lt.kvw.

So I added a folder, a file and a jpeg. Then I went to earth.google.com and downloaded the Google Earth setup.

I installed it and now I have GEarth version 4.1.7076.4458.

And - there is nothing in my C:\Program Files\Google\Google Earth\kvw folder anymore except the default file.

So - The installer removed everything inside that folder when it reinstalled GEarth. I even went to my recycle bin - nothing there. It looks like you are SOL as far as the files and folders you had saved in the kvw folder. Sorry.

FWIW, I never store any files anywhere inside my Program Files folder, too many things to go wrong in there.

Thanks for that. I was beginning to think I was seeing things. I also found out my back up disk was trashed. I did have a cd with a back up of the KMW directory from jan 2006 At least I have what is on the my files part of GEH. I will download them and create a new back up other than on my program directory.
    Elfish for my true name
    Findecáno Táralóm