Thread: Putting Google Earth On My Website How?

Default Putting Google Earth On My Website How?

Please note that I am a new member and I don't know where I should post this question? Anyway, I want to put google earth on my website. However, when I veiw the new website on preview the link to my google earth file will not open? The link opens fine if I don't preview through internet explorer? I have not publish the site as of yet, but I am assuming the link to google earth will not open just like when I preview the site through internet explorer.

I would really appreciate help on this matter.

Best Regards,

writetoknow

Default How Do I Put A Link To Google Earth On My Website

I hope my last question was not too confusing. I simply want to put a link to google earth on my website. The google earth program will not open when the website is previewed through Internet Explorer?

Thanks

writetoknow

Happy New Year

Default How Come Google Earth Cannot Be Used On Personal Website

Why am I unable to put a link to google earth on my website. Every time I click the link Internet Explorer does not recognize the link. However, when the website is not published the google earth link works fine?

I hope someone has the answer?

Thanks

That is very strange indeed, I'm guessing it is designed to not let you use an interactive GE from a webpage, if you have to, just insert an image of what you want shown.
    Remember what movie these are from? I bet you don't!
    "You do well in school?"---"Yeah"---"Good, so did I, that's what they call a paradox"

"How's your mother?"---"Oh... I'm afraid she's on her way out."---"We all are. Act accordingly."

Default Thank For The Reply

Thanks again for your imput. The google earth program is on my computer so when it opens from the website before it is published it opens from my document files. But when it is publish on the net internet explorer will not recognize the address into my files to open it. I really don't understand perhaps It google earth has to be uploaded to the provider of my website? Anyway just putting a link to google earth on my website does not work when it is publish and requires internet explorer to open it?

Unhappy

My site also don't allow ".kmz" files.
    You have:
    Freewill;
    Freedom;
    Intelligence;
    A nice place called "Earth".

What you will do with such things, that's up to you, but I think that will be VERY wise to KEEP WELL all those things...

Quote Originally Posted by Archimedes
    My site also don't allow ".kmz" files.
    Hi,

the webserver has to know the correct mime type. For apache you can put a file called '.htaccess' (note the position of the dot) into the same folder as the kmz files with these lines

AddType application/vnd.google-earth.kml+xml kml
    AddType application/vnd.google-earth.kmz kmz

Regards - Anton

Default Very Interesting

So if I have this correct I will need to contact the people hosting my website and fine out the correct file type then add that into the files for the website to open google earth on my website? Although, the google earth program is not located at my website server the website server will recognize the file in my computer and open it. Hopefully, I got this correct - correct?

Thanks Once More,

Writetoknow

Hey Writetoknow...

I'm just not sure yet of what you are trying to accomplish exactly:

- do you have a KMZ file (the file that contains the placemark) on your own computer (a local file, which would show up in your HTML-code somewhat like this: "file://.../documents/files/placemark.kmz") that you want to acces via a link on your website?
    I don't think this is possible, since you can't just acces files on a (home users') computer (even your own) through the internet without additional steps. Which is a good thing!

- do you have a KMZ file on your server that you want to acces?
    Then you must make sure you've uploaded the file, using FTP or some webbased protocol, to the correct directory and that your webpage refers to the correct (same) location. The link would have to look somewhat like this: "http://www.yourserver.com/yourwebsite/files/placemark.kmz".

You should also ask your provider if they allow these types of files to be handled or if an additional mime-configuration is required (like macnetz said in his post).

Goodluck...
    mzl
    dapascha

---
    "Life is like a sewer. What you get out of it, depends
    on what you put into it." -- TOM LEHRER

My hacks on GE Community...

1)
    You put the .kml- or .kmz-file on your page availiable for download. Everyone who uses Google Earth on his computer will be able to open the file in Google Earth (GE does this automatically if you open it from within the browser)
    2)
    You place a Google Map on your page and add placemarks so your visitors can see them. They only need a browser and JavaScript.

Max

(I hope I got this right?)

Default Google Earth in Web 3D with Flux

Hi. Now you can actually put your Google Earth 3D files on a Web page in real-time 3D - w/o requiring Google Earth.

We just released a new version of our Web 3D authoring tool, Flux Studio 2.0, that imports Google Earth files and preps them for sharing in game-like 3D on the Web using the free Flux Player 2.0 Web browser plugin for MS Windows Firefox and IE. It's all free for personal and educational use.

www.mediamachines.com - to download and such

thx,

aj