Thread: Buffalo Skull discussion

Hybrid View

Default Buffalo Skull discussion

This is a discussion thread for the following file:

Buffalo Skull

A buffalo or cow skull in the desert in Mali.

Smile Buffalo Skull

Quote Originally Posted by GEHFileBot
    This is a discussion thread for the following file:

Buffalo Skull

A buffalo or cow skull in the desert in Mali.

Considering that it has been found in a miniscule 45 by 70 metre high-resolution swath in the middle of a large low-resolution area, this is a good find. The measurements of the skull seem to match that it probably is from some form of cattle. I can not verify if Buffalo or Water Buffalo are native to the Republic of Mali, but I believe Water Buffalo to be.

Default How?

How in h#ll do you find a buffalo skull in the middle of the desert on planet earth. I just can't figure it out!
    We're here for a good time, not a long time.

Very cool!
    There's also what could be other bleached bones scattered around.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by MGCrooks
    Considering that it has been found in a miniscule 45 by 70 metre high-resolution swath in the middle of a large low-resolution area, this is a good find. The measurements of the skull seem to match that it probably is from some form of cattle. I can not verify if Buffalo or Water Buffalo are native to the Republic of Mali, but I believe Water Buffalo to be.
    Yes, I think you are right with the cattle. I find the horns in the two pics look similar to those in the GE-picture, and I read that they have 6,735,000 cattle in Mali, which increases the statistic probability on cattle.

Cattles in Mali

Thank you all for your reply.

Cheers

Felippo

That has to be part of the megaflyover, though not all of the pictures are marked, turn on the national geographic content (under featured content) and there is a marker almost due west that talks about erosion due to overgrazing by cattle. If you zoom in on the one that mentions seeing cattle by a water hole, they look like the same animal that the skull belongs to. There is a string of high res photos that pretty much follows the river for quite a distance, at near-regular intervals.

D_B