Thread: IX-515 Sea Flyer prototype at Hawaii discussion

Default IX-515 Sea Flyer prototype at Hawaii discussion

This is a discussion thread for the following file:

IX-515 Sea Flyer prototype at Hawaii

Sea Flyer is a unique hybrid lifting body ship that combines the high-speed capabilities of a hydrofoil and the rough-water stability of a small waterplane area twin hull (SWATH). A former Navy Surface Effects Ship SES-200 (IX-515), the vessel was converted in stages between 2000 and 2003 by Navatek, Ltd (a subsidiary of Pacific Marine and Supply, Ltd), with funding from the Office of Naval Research. Modifications included removing the existing air cushion system on the SES and all related components; installing a 170-ton underwater lifting body and a new propulsion system; adding an aft underwater cross foil and an advanced ride control system (ARCS) to control pitch and roll.

The lifting body allows the ship to operate with variable immersion as speed increases, with the hull completely out of the water’s surface at maximum speed. In essence, the ship’s hull is “flying” above the water while the lifting body, aft cross foil, and ARCS combine to provide lift and stability at high speed. This hybrid concept allows a larger payload than a SWATH, but with similar seakeeping capability. The lifting body on Sea Flyer also provides volume for propulsion machinery and contains two of the four control flaps for the ride control system. It is made of aluminum with composite materials used as side caps.

Sea Flyer was launched in June 2003, with Navy sea trials conducted in 2004. The current mission of Sea Flyer is to evaluate the sea-keeping and load-carrying capacity of a hybrid SWATH/hydrofoil ship incorporating an underwater lifting body and ride control system. During sea trials in 8- to 14-foot seas with 40-knot winds (Sea State 5), Sea Flyer was able to maintain an average cruising speed just one knot less than its calm water cruising speed. Sea Flyer also will be used to train the future crew of the Littoral Surface Craft-Experimental, also known as X-Craft, a high-speed catamaran currently under construction.

Default Only image I could find...

٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶

The same picture is in the file!
    You search it, I will find it!

Quote Originally Posted by McMaster_de View Post
    The same picture is in the file!

Hehe. I downloaded it but kind of forgot to click the icon to bring up the info. Kind of sad that there is only one image of this considering it was launched in 2003.
    ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶

Default Sold for scrap?

I saw it at a government auction site: http://www.govliquidation.com/auctio...tionId=3417899

Sea Flyer: EX-IX-515, self-propelled, an all aluminum catamaran type hull with the foil, propellers, engines, machinery and electrical systems removed from the vessel. Builder: Bell Halter Inc, delivery date: 09/ 01/ 1980, length: 159 ft, extreme beam: 39 ft, max nav draft: 9 ft, light displacement: 128 tons, dead weight: 77 tons, waterline length: 146 ft, waterline beam: 37 ft, full displacement: 205 tons. Inspections and removals are available by appointment only. Proof of insurance must be provided to DRMS before removal can take place. A 24-hour advance notice is required prior to inspection/ removal. Inspection/ removal times are available between the hours of 8:00 AM and 2:00 PM local time, Monday - Friday, excluding holidays. Purchaser must Load/ Tow at no cost to the Government. No Government assistance. Working on vessel is prohibited on Government property other than preparing for tow or shipment. A three (3) day advance notice is required prior to removal. Buyer must make prior arrangements with Pearl Harbor Naval Station, Port Operations, at (808) 473-1168. Mr. Steven Devaux for access through Pearl Harbor Naval Station waters. The buyer may rig the vessel for tow at their present location at Navy Inactive Ships, Pearl Harbor, but no other work on the vessel is authorized at the Navy Inactive Ships facility. To request an inspection/ removal appointment, contact Walt Leonard via phone at (808) 471-4521 ext 13, or via email at walter. leonard@navy. mil. While this item does not require EUC approval, a completed EUC must be submitted before a paid invoice will be released.

Exclamation What happened to the Sea Flyer?

I remember seeing it in June/July on govliquidation.com but it was a Sealed Bid and I STILL can't find out how much it went for or if it even sold! See, often people win the bid then can't pay. If anyone knows either one, PLEASE let me know because I've been trying to find out ever since the bidding ended.